Astra Owners Network banner

Date changes to the wrong date by itself. Astra G

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  TimHC 
#1 ·
Hi. not been on a while but still alive :)

Got my partner a 52 plate astra g elegance. Its been in the family since new. She lives daan saaf in saafend and she can set the date correct on the display then next day or two days time.... it will go back a day. Time is bang on but date drops back. If you reset it.... it goes back.... if you leave it alone.... its always a day behind. doesnt drop back any more days. any help is appreciated

Strange

Steve

#3 · (Edited)
Must be a chip fault on the mfd circuit board, try above suggestion, did that work? New mfd is needed if it bothers your missus that much, read the mfd display thread for a link to how to, it's easy to do. Failing that the cars haunted

#8 ·
Well i tried to trick it. Radio 2 mainly with EON and RDS on. I set the date 4 days ahead. Turned on radio and it stayed 4 days ahead..... 3 hours later it was a day behind again. Tried setting it 2 days behind.... it stepped on a day to make it 1 day behind. I give up!

#9 ·
I have also had this problem with my 53 Astra 1.6 Club for the last three years. HOWEVER, since 29th February, it has Been displaying the correct date, so I guess that some software programmer got his leap years mixed up some 15 years about?
Have others noticed the same?

#12 ·
That thread you reference is newer than my original as I opened this thread at the beginning of april 2013. She had the car from about January 2013 and it came with that fault then so it wasn't just april 2013 as stevo9999 thought.
I think it occurred feb 2012, the last leap year. I reckon someone accounted for a leap year twice. Feb 28th, correct. Feb 29th, correct. March 1st, car still thinks its feb 29th or feb 30th. (yes I know there is never a feb 30th.)

I wonder if anyone saw 30/02/2012 on their display and didn't think anything of it?

Steve

#13 ·
Ah, now that makes it clearer. Personally it's not a problem as I prefer to know the time rather than the date. I only noticed it because a couple of years back I took the battery off and had to reset date/time then a few weeks later when the clocks went to BST i thought I'd reset it wrong.:lol:

#14 ·
but doesn't that mean that it will go out of sync again at some point if the software is bugged

PS im lucky i didn't get this issue with my car, dates always been right, but it would of annoyed the hell out of me if i did

#15 ·
As to whether it will happen again is anyone's guess. I bought my Astra in 2005, when it was 30 months old and the date/time function always seemed reliable. The first time that I noticed the wrong date was in 2013, so I assumed that it had built-in obsolescence after ten years to remind you to change your car! I did write to Vauxhall about it, and they recommended that I should book it into their local dealership for investigation. I didn't follow their advice as I suspected that it would cost me!
The car is performing very well and may well last another ten years, so I will post an update if the date changes again in that time.
(where can I hang a calendar on my windscreen?)

#17 ·
Well. It's happened again ! My program thought that 2017 was a leap year and recorded February 29th !
This makes some sense as it thought that 2013 was a leap year too, so it does work on a four year cycle.
Once again, my display is showing yesterday's date, so I guess I'll have to wait until 2020 for it to correct itself again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.