Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been trawling through this website for months now since buying my Astra H 1.8 VVT in September. I have found many helpful tips and ideas so thanks for that! :+1:

Now onto the issue at hand, I recently fit cruise control and had the tech-2 done at my local Vauxhall dealership. It works perfectly, in every gear but fifth. No matter what speed, what revs, anything I try it doesn't turn on. I have taken it back into Vauxhall and they have just rung me saying they are stumped.

Let's say for example, I'm traveling at 60mph. If I stick it into 4th, and turn cruise control on, works. If I put it into 5th, try, then nothing. And if I drop it back to 4th, works again. Even if I turn it on in 4th, put it into 5th then press the lower speed button to continue it, still nothing. I have tried checking both the brake and clutch switch and it's neither of them, nor does it work if I 'ram' it into 5th.

I normally wouldn't mind, but since 5th gear is the gear I'd use it in most, it's frustrating. Thought I would try posting here before I give up on it.

I haven't changed anything else interior wise, that could be the issue. Everything is standard technically.

I look forward to seeing any replies that may be able to help!

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
That is really odd. There must be some reason that it doesn't know the clutch is out when in fifth

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they only gave me two options, buying either a new ecu or another thing behind the dash, both at over £500! Think it may be time just to give up on the whole idea!

They said they spent 5 hours on it looking into it and couldnt figure it out, so it is strange. I wonder whether it has anything to do with something that happened a while ago

While travelling at 80-90mph on a motorway the whole dash, lights, Rev counter, speedo, everything turned off/dropped to 0 for a couple of seconds, before all returning back to normal, not sure what happened, but it was scary indeed.

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
That's just the ECU selfcheck. It is perfectly normal for it to do all of that just not at motorway speed for a couple of seconds, but on some cars that randomly happens

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
I've been having a think about this and have a theory. What if the clutch is slipping and is most noticeable in 5th so the pedal is dropping enough to cut the connection at the clutch switch? To test you would need to get it in 5th and then hold the clutch pedal up as far as it will go with your foot

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I read that as a solution on another website following a Google search. Managed to find a couple of other cars that have the same problem, with all of the replies the same (that's weird, unusual etc). The gents at Vauxhall said they checked both the brake and clutch switch and there was no fault there, as they had to readjust the clutch switch after noticing it was 'very sensitive'

I'm guessing they would have noticed if the clutch was slipping while doing the checks?

Also, they tried a new stalk and checked the tech-2 was done correctly. They said it was 'crashing' or something when the car entered 5th.

They even went as far as to say it may be to do with rpm as I have vxr alloys on and that could be throwing it out (sounds total *** to me) but it can't be that, as I didn't fit them until 2 days after i had it turned on, and it didn't work prior to fitting new alloys

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
They even went as far as to say it may be to do with rpm as I have vxr alloys on and that could be throwing it out (sounds total *** to me) but it can't be that, as I didn't fit them until 2 days after i had it turned on, and it didn't work prior to fitting new alloys
That definitely sounds like they're trying to fob you off.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
i would suggest its either a faulty clutch switch? maybe a slipping clutch when in 5th hence why it wont work in 5th gear or could maybe be a cim issue? see if vauxhall can do a sotware update? with next on the list maybe the ecu

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm having a bit of a Google for you mate, early results seem to be ECU related. Worth disconnecting the battery for half an hour to attempt a reset. I'll keep digging!

·
Registered
677 Posts
The Ford guys who had a similar problem seem to think it was relays, I'm not 100% familiar with the workings of cruise control so don't shoot me if this is complete balls in an astra haha!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yeah, it's worth a shot, it's free! General gist seems to be that the car should have no idea whether it's in first, third or fifth, so it can't be anything logical to do with that gear, at least electrically, sensor wise etc. So possibly the ECU has gone bonkers or the clutch is slipping slightly in fifth. Has the car ever been mapped? Some of the bmw guys seem to have had this problem after a dodgy map. Other than that fella I don't know, sorry if I've been no use!

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
It's nothing to do with rpm or what wheels are fitted and no they wouldn't have noticed if it was the clutch. Go take it for a drive and lift the clutch from underneath when in fifth

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope car has never been mapped, and just drove it in 5th, couldn't pull the clutch up at all so guessing it's not that :pensive:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My car came fitted with CC.. It sounds like a silly reason but sometimes mine doesn't work in 5th either. Like I could press the button a few times and it won't turn on.. But by pressing the brake, then the accelerator and then trying again it'll switch on.

You could always try that too, press the brake, then gas a little and then try it? Like I said, it's silly but always worth a try too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts