Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my way to work this morning I was involved in a crash which has ripped off the front bumper and smashed one of the headlights, the insurance company got it towed away and told me it will be a write off due to uneconomical repair, which has gutted me as I’ve had it from new (2005) and I love driving the car and had no intention of getting rid any time soon!

The radiator is intact as appears to be everything else apart from the bumper and headlight, the fluid leaking is where the pipes have come out of the bottom of the windscreen washer bottle! The recovery guy said that it doesn’t look that bad and can probably be repaired but due to the age and market the insurance company will just write it off.

I’ve never been in this predicament before so am unsure what to do, I can’t really afford to get a new car and if there’s not much damage, it doesn’t seem right to just let the car go, and I’d rather keep the car if it’s not too ridiculously expensive to fix as I’d rather spend the money on a car I know the history of rather than one I don’t!

I’d really appreciate people’s thoughts and opinions.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Easy fix,new bumper,headlight and bottle all bolts on easy and get the lights re-aimed don’t worry about crash bar mines been hit before and everything still bolted on fine ,where are you from as i might have parts and could possibly fit them and get you back on the road

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im from sandy Bedfordshire so only a few miles from you let me know mate
Thanks, that would be awesome! Apparently I need to wait for the insurance company to assess the damage and then hopefully I can convince them to not write the car off and give it back to me, I’m not sure if I’m able to just put a stop to it at this stage?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can keep the car youl probly pay a few quid to the insurance company for it but ur the registered keeper so its still yours
Thanks, that’s the bit I’m struggling to get to grips with, it’s essentially still my car and so I guess they can’t forcibly make me give it up!

They’ve left a voicemail today whilst I was at work to say they want to discuss the next stage but couldn’t get through when I rang back so will try again tomorrow!

Whatever happens I need to move quickly as I’m sure they’ll want me to return the hire car they gave me pretty sharpish once it’s sorted and then I’ll have no transport and obviously I can’t drive mine on the road legally until the headlight and bumper are fixed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
easy job to do are you near a scrap yard you could fix that in a coyple of hours
Yeah looks quite easy, I’ve just been closely examining the photos checking that everything looks in order, I literally picked everything up and put it in my boot so am now wondering how much of the original parts are actually usable, it never dawned on me to try and reattach the bumper when I picked it up

Hopefully @davidmitch35 ;will be able to help me as he very kindly offered!

My main concern now is how I’m actually going to get the car back as I have no idea where they’ve taken it and if it’s even local as I can’t technically just drive it without a bumper or headlight and knowing my luck the rozzers would get me

Out of interest would I be allowed to drive it if I displayed trade plates as I may know someone who has some?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I’ve made the difficult decision to let the car go

I spoke to the insurance company this morning and they offered me £805 which is much more than I was expecting, I asked about getting the car back and they said I could but obviously I would be responsible for moving it, it also turns out the aircon condenser has been damaged in the crash.

I thought about all the things that are wrong with it that I’ve learnt to live with as well as the hassle of getting it back on the road and so have made the decision based on practicality rather than emotion to cut my losses and move on.

I’ve been out this afternoon and bought a 2016 Astra J SRi with the 1.6 CDTI start/stop engine which I must say was really nice to drive and quite quick which is being delivered to me on Monday, so essentially an updated version of what I had!

Thanks for all your advice, I just hope my new car serves me as well as my old one did.

·
Registered
815 Posts
i bet you didnt pay 805 quid for it instead of the payments on the new one id have kept the old one and couldve had that back on the road in jig time and who uses ac never had mine on i just dont go into debt for cars after paying for them for decades but to each his own good luck with it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i bet you didnt pay 805 quid for it instead of the payments on the new one id have kept the old one and couldve had that back on the road in jig time and who uses ac never had mine on i just dont go into debt for cars after paying for them for decades but to each his own good luck with it.
No, I’ve paid a lot more for it but my mums lent me the money to stop me getting into official debt!

I can’t begin to describe what a difficult and emotional decision this was but I’ve been thinking of getting a new car for a while now but haven’t been in the position to do so!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had a rear-end crash in mine. I think yours might have been in colour too! Ah well, the parts search continues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts