Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This light came up on the dash last night, car still seems to drive OK tho...

I've tried to find out on-line what its for and cant find a definitive answer, although I'm led to believe that its to do with the Lambda sensor?

I've done the pedal test, but that still comes up with the code for the crank sensor, which I've fixed (I just haven't cleared the codes yet)

have left the battery off when i got to work this morning, so will try the pedal test again at lunch..

If it is the lambda sensor, am i right in thinking that the zlet has 2?

cheers guys!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
right, I've cleared the codes and the light has gone out, also done around 12 miles and its not come back on.

i did the pedal test and it comes up as 0136 - which isn't listed on the topbuzz site!?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I currently have the same fault :( although it P0137, which is the Bank 2 Lambda Sensor.. gonna change it this weekend...

Quick one though, i Revved my Car up Alot recently, (i was jump starting a car) and the Light was on, after leaving the car, returning to it Starting it, the light went out.. not for long but it went out :)

i hope you sort this out buddy let me know how it goes :)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
my apologies i think bank 1 second sensor? does that sound right?

Got this off the tinterweb

O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage

What does this mean?

OBD Code P0137refers to
Essentially the same as P0136, P0137 refers to the second oxygen sensor on Bank 1. P0137 means the O2 oxygen sensor's voltage remained low for longer than 2 minutes. This, is interpreted by the ECM as a low voltage condition and sets the MIL. Bank 1 Sensor 2 is located to the rear of the catalytic converter and should produce an output signal relative to oxygen storage capacity of the catalytic converter. This rear (sensor 2) sensor is less active than the signal produced by the front sensor. However, if the ECM senses the sensor is inactive, this code will set.

Symptoms

Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0137
There may be no visible symptoms to the driver, other than the MIL (Check Engine / Service Engine Soon) illumination.

Causes

Possible causes of OBD code P0137
A code P0137 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Faulty o2 sensor Exhaust leak near the rear sensor Plugged catalyst Short to voltage on O2 signal circuit High resistance or open on O2 signal circuit

Possible Solutions
Replace faulty sensor Repair exhaust leak near the rear sensor Check for restriction in catalyst and replace as necessary Repair short, open, or high resistance on o2 signal circuit

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what does all of this bank 1 and bank 2 mean? im new to turbo cars so dont know very much at the moment (if it was a C18XE id be flying!)

if the issue is with bank 1 sensor 2 does that mean the sensor furthest from the engine? i dont want to buy a new one and buy the wrong one!

thanks guys, helpful as ever :)

·
15,092 Posts
The bank just refers to which bank of cylinders you're talking about, on an standard inline 4 then of course you only have one bank. On a V engine, you get two banks of cylinders so you need something to tell you which bank it's talking about.

And yes, sensor 1 is the one before the cat and sensor 2 is the one after.

Beware though, just because you have the sensor 2 code, it doesn't necessarily follow that the sensor is faulty. Worth getting it diagnosed properly before you throw money at it which might not give you a fix.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks,

what's the best way to find out other than taking it to vaux?

can i test the voltage using a multimeter?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I got given the second lambda sensor for free, so going to swap them over, but i'm hoping its not anything worse... mine's a 1.6 16v engine :)...

I should say this all started after i accidently went through a deep puddle, after driving the car fairly hard up a stupidly steep hill, i am hoping i just shorted something, as the light comes and goes, but has now been on constant for about 3 weeks :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well ive not done anything like that, i reckon mines just never been changed and is *******.

how did you get one for free??

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Hi, Quick update :)... had the car over to a Friend at Halfords auto centre, The car was fully diagonosed and it was the bank 1 Sensor 2, apprently it was a Amber condition :/ dunno what that means but i replaced the sensor and they turned off the light and removed the stored code :) so now she's running light free :D

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
Hi, Quick update :)... had the car over to a Friend at Halfords auto centre, The car was fully diagonosed and it was the bank 1 Sensor 2, apprently it was a Amber condition :/ dunno what that means but i replaced the sensor and they turned off the light and removed the stored code :) so now she's running light free :D
Nice one, ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mines fixed too, it seems that who ever fitted the sensor last routed it the wrong way.

there is a mount with a hole in it for the wire to attach to and someone had clipped it in on the underside of the mount which meant it was facing the road, if it had been put on the top i doubt this would have happened.

the wire to my sensor was ripped to pieces, which I think was caused by having to park on the grass outside where i live and then having to drive off the kerb, which has caught the wire and torn it, making the light come on.

i could have re-wired it but had already got one from Autovaux (£78!) and could only return it for credit, which i doubt id use any time soon so just used the new one.

lights now off and car drives a lot better!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts