Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys

What is the correct way to check your oil level?

In the past and as i have always done, it was whilst the car was cold and on level ground, spoke to Vauxhall and they say check it when its at normal temp i.e. hot...! then this morning was told, no, check it when its cold. Er sort of confused.com. They say the new cars now days have electronic checks on the dash, erm do they? and they check it when the engine is warm

I checked it cold and the level was a third of the way up the stick, then hot and it shows correct, so i would assume thats the right way

Looked through the posts the latter seems the way, but is it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your replies in advance

·
Registered
113 Posts
have always checked mine when cold and on level ground if you check it when hot there is a chance that you could overfill it

·
Registered
422 Posts
The Vauxhall method (in the book) is to check it 5 minutes after stopping a hot (not warm) engine. That just gives time for the oil to drain back down. No chance of overfill as the hot oil drains back very rapidly. In my experience on the vvt if you check it cold the oil has been pulled up the dipstick tube and it looks way overfilled.

MM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
have always checked mine when cold and on level ground if you check it when hot there is a chance that you could overfill it
No chance whatsoever... basically when oil gets hot it expands when. It gets cold again it shrinks back .....if U start with a hot oil level of 1lt thenbwhenbits coldbit will be between 600 & 750 ml approx ...it will be definitely less good oilctyan it is hot oil basically U can always add a touch more easily but it is a much more advanced process to tak some Back out especially if U have run the car with it overfilled as it will end up all thru the air cleaner n such 🙂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts