Astra Owners Network banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
That is not the correct temp sensor as it is a threaded one on his model of engine. I believe this one to be correct

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks Redman, looks like the item that I'm trying to point at (not the best image). Right, I'll give that a go.

Just bought the sensor you and valer mentioned, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Cheap part, so I'm happy 🙂

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have made the assumption it is the temp sensor on what you posted originally.
Temp always reading 70 c hot or cold engine.
You have had a new engine thermostat fitted (hopefully a genuine vx part).
Fan on continually.

P0115 code can show on a passing thermostat where the engine temp and the rad temp sensors, rates of temp rise, is similar when warming up. But the engine cooling fan is on which would overcool even more, suggesting otherwise to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have made the assumption it is the temp sensor on what you posted originally.
Temp always reading 70 c hot or cold engine.
You have had a new engine thermostat fitted (hopefully a genuine vx part).
Fan on continually.

P0115 code can show on a passing thermostat where the engine temp and the rad temp sensors, rates of temp rise, is similar when warming up. But the engine cooling fan is on which would overcool even more, suggesting otherwise to me.
Well it's a cheap part, and it makes sense - so I'll try it and see. I'll post back once it's done!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It was changed by a Vauxhall approved mechanic, so I assume it is OEM - but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I got the part today, and got ready to change it when I noticed that I can't unscrew it from my car. As you can see on the image here, it looks like the sensor is part of the housing and can't be taken off.

If it's the right thing I'm looking at here, could it be that the thermostat that was changed recently is not oem and has the sensor built in?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Are you looking at the part in the red square? as that is not it.
It should be around the end of the corrugated conduit (red arrow on 2nd pic)
Screenshot_20200619-204013_Photo Editor.jpg
Screenshot_20200619-204144_Photo Editor.jpg

·
Registered
822 Posts
I got the part today, and got ready to change it when I noticed that I can't unscrew it from my car. As you can see on the image here, it looks like the sensor is part of the housing and can't be taken off.

View attachment 33615

If it's the right thing I'm looking at here, could it be that the thermostat that was changed recently is not oem and has the sensor built in?
Are you 100% certain this is an XEP and not an XER engine ?
the part in the pic is a push on water pipe connection to the throttle body which from memory i think was only on the XER,if it is then the temp sensor will be the wrong one.
Why not post the reg number,then i can confirm exactly which engine and sensor it it before you go any further

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Are you 100% certain this is an XEP and not an XER engine ?
the part in the pic is a push on water pipe connection to the throttle body which from memory i think was only on the XER,if it is then the temp sensor will be the wrong one.
Why not post the reg number,then i can confirm exactly which engine and sensor it it before you go any further
Valer, the VIN is W0L0AHL3582049654

I had no idea that there were different versions of the cooling system 😏

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yep as i thought, it's a Z16XER not an XEP,in that case you need sensor 55591401
assumption really is the mother of all **** ups lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks Valer!! I'll go ahead and get me one of those. The part was cheap enough, so I was a little fast on the trigger.

Yes I guess assumptions are dangerous in all aspects - they can save time too, but there's definitely a risk one should be willing to take 😆

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
...and it looks like it's angled, so things look right, now that I'm looking at the right sensor in the engine bay too 😆

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I was concerned you were pointing to the wrong part in the earlier picture.

That temp sensor is replaceable also and is held in by a spring clip.
Have you now got 2 parts you potentially don't need?

Does the car temp still read 70 degrees on the hidden menu when cold. Perhaps supply a photo of this reading so we can have a look.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts