Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

My trusty Astra H has begun to start the cooling fan (full blast - sounds pretty loud 馃槅) when I start the engine for the first time in the day. It did this last summer too, but since it stopped as the weather got colder and I changed the thermostat, I thought the problem was gone.

But no - it has come back, now that the weather has gotten better.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? The thermostat has been changed 馃槒 Ah, and when I check the engine temp through the BC, it always says the same temp from cold to hot engine (around 70c I believe).

The symptoms stop when I turn off the engine while hot, then start it again (although it has a hard time starting at that point, but runs fine after a few seconds).

Have a great evening!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all

My trusty Astra H has begun to start the cooling fan (full blast - sounds pretty loud 馃槅) when I start the engine for the first time in the day. It did this last summer too, but since it stopped as the weather got colder and I changed the thermostat, I thought the problem was gone.

But no - it has come back, now that the weather has gotten better.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? The thermostat has been changed 馃槒 Ah, and when I check the engine temp through the BC, it always says the same temp from cold to hot engine (around 70c I believe).

The symptoms stop when I turn off the engine while hot, then start it again (although it has a hard time starting at that point, but runs fine after a few seconds).

Have a great evening!
What engine ?

I would guess a faulty temperature sensor.
It's the 1.6 105hp. So the thermostat and temperature sensor are two different elements? I assumed the thermostat has the sensor built in.

Registered
That is usually a heater element I think.
I think this is a picture of your thermostat housing and the temp sensor is circled in red adjacent to the egr actuator.

Screenshot_20200614-223730_Photo Editor.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Ah thanks! It shows error 11517.

Do I try and change the temp sensor circled in red?

Registered
P0115 is indeed engine coolant sensor malfunction.

I would check the wiring at the temp sensor for frayed wires or corrosion on connections, prior to replacing it.

Buy genuine or oem part replacement should you replace it.
It probably needs replacing

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Great, it all makes sense then! Thanks for all your help - much appreciated!!

Registered
Is yours a XER engine with the VVT?

Make sure the thermostat you get is a genuine GM one - not a cheap china part. It will be around 拢50 or so.

Dont forget the gasket too

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
No I don't think it is.

Good to know - I'll wait till the end of the month in that case :sneaky:

Registered
This one will be okay for you as it includes the seal too:

This is the genuine GM one but you will need to purchase the seal too:

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! Just bought the one with the seal 馃憤馃徎 The wife will be extatic, as she's really worried about stranding on the side of the road 馃槅

Registered
Thanks! Just bought the one with the seal 馃憤馃徎 The wife will be extatic, as she's really worried about stranding on the side of the road 馃槅
Am I misunderstanding this, but have you purchased the thermostat?
That fault code is usually P0597.

The fault P0115 along with the car symptoms points to the temp sensor and not the heater circuit in the thermostat.

Registered
No problem.. be sure to update us when its all fitted. Use the secret menu to see the temperature - it eill creep up to 105 / 110 until the thermostat opens.

Be careful opening and tightening the E10 bolts. You dont want to crack the plastic housing.

Any help needed or questions once fitted let me know - but you sould be okay. Replaced mine lately too and all is well.

Registered
Am I misunderstanding this, but have you purchased the thermostat?
That fault code is usually P0579.

The fault P0115 along with the car symptoms points to the temp sensor and not the heater circuit in the thermostat.
The temp sensor is embedded within the thermostat unit itself - hence the reason for changing it whole.

Registered
Lots of incorrect advice here,Redman is correct the connection in the stat is the map controlled stat heater, the temp sender is in the lower housing as per the picture he [email protected] follow Redman advice he's correct in what he's advised,l fear you may have wasted your money

Registered
The temp sensor is embedded within the thermostat unit itself - hence the reason for changing it whole.
My understanding of the electrical component within the wax stat housing is a heater element to accelerate the heating of the wax under heavy load. The thermostat also works conventionally by hot water expanding the wax.

You tend to get the symptom of the radiator fan running continuously when the heater element goes faulty, as he has but temp is normal and not showing 70c.
I think your part is the circled red one, may be wrong though. I take it you can see that on your thermostat manifold housing.

Registered
My understanding of the electrical component within the wax stat housing is a heater element to accelerate the heating of the wax under heavy load. The thermostat also works conventionally by hot water expanding the wax.

You tend to get the symptom of the radiator fan running continuously when the heater element goes faulty, as he has but temp is normal and not showing 70c.
I think your part is the circled red one, may be wrong though. I take it he can see that on your thermostat manifold housing.
Yes, I agree , and with @valer

His temperature should run higher than 70. If you want to cancel thw purchase before it is shipped - feel free.

To check the thermostat start the engine and feel the big hose going down to the radiator.

Does it stay cold, or become warm quickly?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts