Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
The coolant warning light comes on and off randomly, it seems, on my astra g. The engine coolant level hasn't changed and the light comes on with or without the ac on.
This has happened ever since I've replaced the air conditioning freon coolant, but I had it tested again and it works fine (no leaks).

Any ideas as to why this might happen?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
ill have to look at my hayne to confirm the location as im brill on the 16v (can tell you where every nut bolt wire goes etc) but limited experience on the 8v. you probably know more than I do about your engine so if where you have indicated is the sensor, try cleaning it up (coolant crust) or replacing it. What does your engine temp gauge do on the dash is it reading true? it should climb to around 90 and hold there. but the fact your getting a warning light does suggest sensor. also check for bad or frayed wiring to and from the sensor.

let us know how you get on as the info may help others in future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems I have a self repairing car...warning lights stays down now, even with AC on. The weather was a bit chilly lately, so I'll have to wait and see what it does when the heat comes back

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
still replace the ECT, if that goes then the temp gauge goes mental, coolant error codes can come up and the engine will run like a bag, esp if it get to hot and the fans dont come on, could melt piston blow the head anything, not hard to replace, and i thought on the *v the ECT was under the water bottle but could be wrong, been a long time since i had my eyes on a 8v lump!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Lol. Ok well your sensor is on the top left corner at the front just follow the big coolant pipe up to the thermostat and you'll see it poking out the side with the wire running under your rocker cover along the side of the cam cover and back to the loom.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Lol. Ok well your sensor is on the top left corner at the front just follow the big coolant pipe up to the thermostat and you'll see it poking out the side with the wire running under your rocker cover along the side of the cam cover and back to the loom.

aint the sensor for the Z16XE on the thermo housing? built in as one unit same as the Let thermo, and best way to replace is buying a hole neww thermo? been a while since i worked on a Z16XE last time was my old hatch!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts