Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 Astra J struggles on hot days. The temp goes above 90 frequently then the fan kicks in and struggles to return it to 90. Sometimes the spanner shows up on dash.
Also got code 4 which comes and goes.

Noticed coolant in engine bay today. Please see images and give your opinion on where it's coming from.

Looks like its coming from thermostat, that would also explain the temperature problems.

Mechanic changed water pump and timing kit last year. Concerned they botched something, like the front oil cooler gasket. Never changed the coolant in 5 years unless that was done with water pump.

Also looks like pipe to throttle body looks a bit oily or leaky.
Engine oil cap is ok as well as dipstick, no milk.
Theres some sludge in engine bay, and coolant low of course due to leak.
If its head gasket might scrap the car but recently put ££ into it keeping it going. Done 98k miles. A16XER.
I want to replace coolant temp sensor and thermostat but is it worth it if its the HG.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
looking again closely looks like it is the throttle body to thermostat hose. I bought the coolant temp sensor, and the hose. will top up coolant and replace those parts and see what comes of it.

The sludge in the coolant isnt excessive and making it a low priority for now.

If I still have temp problems ill replace the thermostat too.
Opinions still welcome.

·
Registered
324 Posts
In terms of sensors ideally want to check live data and see what sensor is actually at fault. You mention junk, is this the coolant bottle becoming mucky with a froth of oil and / or a level of oil in your coolant?

And no this is not headgasket related so dont worry.

Thermostat i doubt is stuck closed as if it was it would overheat. You can however check if it is stuck open. turn your car on and feel the big pipe going from the thermostat to the radiator. It should remain cold. If it gets hot in a few mins means your thermostat is stuck open and engine isnt reaching operating temp.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Those throttle body to stat hoses are a regular failure point and usually where yours has gone

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a leak from there, it was the coolant pipe in the centre of image 2 with the 90 degree connector. It was just the o-ring that sits inside had shrunk over time and no longer making a seal so just replace that with a new o-ring. I just used one out of an assortment box of o-rings that matched.

As for the gunk I'm not sure as mine was clean coolant.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. I just experience what I found to be a regular failure point. The tube broke off in the thermostat housing.

So need a new housing on the way soon.

Could someone help me with what gaskets I need for this job.
1. The thermostat didn't come with one but I know theres one there
2. Thermostat housing to engine, square shape.
3. How about from oil cooler to thermostat? the kit im getting has one the same shape as the metal cooler pipe but I didn't see a gasket after taking off the pipe to the thermostat.
4. Do the coolant pipes have O-rings from factory? I have no leaks there but the kit I have does supply the o-rings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
theres 1 in the oil cooler set of gaskets
Could you clarify what you mean? I think you're saying there is one from the oil cooler pipe to thermostat in a circular shape? Mine must have completely perished because its not visible.

So in that case, there are 3 gaskets and that the pipe o-rings are not compulsory?

·
Registered
389 Posts
no i mean the oil cooler set of gaskets has 17 different ones theres 2 different thermostat gaskets included in that 17 a square one and a thermostat shaped one.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If you're only changing the stat housing you need
25189205 seal thermostat,55578957 seal stat housing and for safety's sake 2x o ring 55556547 for the pipe to oil cooler

·
Registered
389 Posts
the water pipe side of my oil cooler went i replaced the lot didnt want to take all that back off if the oil side went 6months down the line .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts