Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a split pipe and water was leaking out. This only happened once the engine was hot and the thermostat was open. Got new pipe and no more leaks but I want to drain/flush/renew the coolant as its now more water than coolant.

How can I go about accomplishing this? I have a Haynes manual and it says to do the radiator seperatly to the engine to avoid dirt/debris getting in.. Surely tho once the thermostat is open any dirt/debris in there as a free pass to get in the engine..

Can I dismantle the car aka I mean take the battery and its tray out, thermostat out and then reconnect the pipes, pull the plug out the radiator and insert a hose into the expansion tank so keep water flowing through until it comes out clean. Re-fit the radiator plug (and thermostat) and fill back up with coolant.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Easiest way remove header tank cap open drain valve on your radiator (driver side bottom corner) taking care to catch it all. Wait till its all come out tighten drain add 2 ltr of antifreeze top up with water run engine till hot air comes through heaters refit header cap road test then re check level

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Easiest way remove header tank cap open drain valve on your radiator (driver side bottom corner) taking care to catch it all. Wait till its all come out tighten drain add 2 ltr of antifreeze top up with water run engine till hot air comes through heaters refit header cap road test then re check level
When I had a brief look in my Haynes manual as my coolant sensor keeps playing up and the coolant often foams up as well, and it said to do a flush I need to remove the thermostat. Is this necessary, or is the method you describe of just using the radiator drain valve just as good?

I've got no idea about these sorts of things, but was thinking of tackling it myself as it doesn't look too hard... just don't want to do anything unnecessary :)

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Just the way I said mike to be honest to remove the thermostat on a 1.9 is an absolute pain there bolted to the side of the head by the throttle body and are terrible to do.

What's the fault your having any dtc's ???

·
Registered
382 Posts
if you were closer to brum mate id offer to do it for ya as there is a very easy no mess way if you have the right tools to hand, otherwise its the way D9VXD says to do it above (Y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts