Astra Owners Network banner

Compatible USB drives for Astra J

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  MusicLoverUK 
#1 ·
I have an Astra J with the factory fitted USB, and i'm having a real headache getting it to work properly. So far i've tried half a dozen different drives, mostly 8gb and some that have been suggested here such as the Sandisk Cruzer Fit.

The problem I get is this; the music from USB plays straight away and the display reads 'scanning usb', after about 5 minutes the music stops and display reads 'Device not found'. Then it finds the device almost straight away, starts playing music and the display reads 'USB indexing' and then after 5 minutes 'Device not found' again! No matter what i've tried I seem to be stuck in this loop.

I have less than, but close to the 1000 file limit and the drive(s) formatted as FAT32 with cluster size 32k. However the only spec I cant meet is the sector size of 512 bytes (which i understand isn't something that can be changed as its to do with the actual USB hardware) and most modern drives have a sector size of 4096 bytes. Whats puzzling is I have used a 16gb Sandisk Cruzer Fit with under 1000 files as some of you have, and still get these issues.

Has anyone else here had these problems, and how did you fix it. Is there anything the dealership can like a firmware upgrade to the Infotainment system?

I'm willing to buy one more USB drive if I know it will work, ideally needs to be as small as the sandisk cruzer or similar.

Please help this is driving crazy

See less See more
#12 ·
Go to the dealers like Jamie has already told you. It is perfectly normal to take an Astra H or J in for a software update. If you are already using the same USB devices that work in everyone elses car, formatted in the way that works in everyone elses car, using the file logic that works in everyone elses car then the only option left is that it is your car.
I'd agree with the above. They may not understand the technical points behind the problem, but I expect they'll quite willingly update the firmware as a sensible course of action.

#6 ·
I've just tried your welcome suggestion of formatting as ex fat, but all it gives me on the dash is is no data found. Formatting as Ntfs gets ignored completely. I'm really hoping the community here can help as I suspect I'm only going to get a blank look from the dealership when I start talking about usb formats and sound system errors. Anyone any other ideas?

#7 ·
Go to the dealers like Jamie has already told you. It is perfectly normal to take an Astra H or J in for a software update. If you are already using the same USB devices that work in everyone elses car, formatted in the way that works in everyone elses car, using the file logic that works in everyone elses car then the only option left is that it is your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.