Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Astra J with the factory fitted USB, and i'm having a real headache getting it to work properly. So far i've tried half a dozen different drives, mostly 8gb and some that have been suggested here such as the Sandisk Cruzer Fit.

The problem I get is this; the music from USB plays straight away and the display reads 'scanning usb', after about 5 minutes the music stops and display reads 'Device not found'. Then it finds the device almost straight away, starts playing music and the display reads 'USB indexing' and then after 5 minutes 'Device not found' again! No matter what i've tried I seem to be stuck in this loop.

I have less than, but close to the 1000 file limit and the drive(s) formatted as FAT32 with cluster size 32k. However the only spec I cant meet is the sector size of 512 bytes (which i understand isn't something that can be changed as its to do with the actual USB hardware) and most modern drives have a sector size of 4096 bytes. Whats puzzling is I have used a 16gb Sandisk Cruzer Fit with under 1000 files as some of you have, and still get these issues.

Has anyone else here had these problems, and how did you fix it. Is there anything the dealership can like a firmware upgrade to the Infotainment system?

I'm willing to buy one more USB drive if I know it will work, ideally needs to be as small as the sandisk cruzer or similar.

Please help this is driving crazy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I thought of that! Nothing odd in the file structure, I've kept it really simple. Does the same thing when I connect a phone using mass storage mode as we.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Format the stick in exFAT instead of NTFS (or vice versa) - worth a go as it's not going to cost you. Formatting in exFAT seemed to cure my problem with a Clarion head unit...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just tried your welcome suggestion of formatting as ex fat, but all it gives me on the dash is is no data found. Formatting as Ntfs gets ignored completely. I'm really hoping the community here can help as I suspect I'm only going to get a blank look from the dealership when I start talking about usb formats and sound system errors. Anyone any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
Go to the dealers like Jamie has already told you. It is perfectly normal to take an Astra H or J in for a software update. If you are already using the same USB devices that work in everyone elses car, formatted in the way that works in everyone elses car, using the file logic that works in everyone elses car then the only option left is that it is your car.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Odd. Mine worked first time with no real considerations other than formatting to FAT32

I did discover the 1000 song limit, but even that still didn't affect the workings of the system

·
Registered
51 Posts
same for me (8GB), but i found it connects to my Iphone and works perfect? so in the case is it a software issue or just not going well with the USB device...

·
3,903 Posts
In that case I wouldn't waste money on another flash drive, as at this stage I highly doubt that's the problem. Take the car back to your dealer and explain the problem, ask them for a software update/diagnostics under warranty as that shouldn't be happening.
Go to the dealers like Jamie has already told you. It is perfectly normal to take an Astra H or J in for a software update. If you are already using the same USB devices that work in everyone elses car, formatted in the way that works in everyone elses car, using the file logic that works in everyone elses car then the only option left is that it is your car.
I'd agree with the above. They may not understand the technical points behind the problem, but I expect they'll quite willingly update the firmware as a sensible course of action.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts