Astra Owners Network banner

Common problems with the Astra G

152K views 180 replies 122 participants last post by  Kimmo 
#1 ·
I've just realised there isn't a sticky thread in this section for the common problems etc of the astra G... So with this in mind, I thought it would help other people out if you could all post up problems in here - that you know for a fact are pretty common, not just any so and so problem!!

Maybe separate them into sections for example (I don't know all the engine codes so...):

GENERAL

Rear springs tend to break

PETROL ENGINES

Cambelt driven engines - water pump should be replaced at service intervals with cambelt

Z20LET

Air Flow Meters fail occasionally

Z18XE

DIESEL ENGINES

Please make this constructive as possible!!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

See less See more
#2 ·
I think it's a great idea and I'm surprised it hasn't been done before!

The rear springs do tend to snap, but the lowered springs (SRi and GSi models) are an exception to this rule.

Also, rear disc brakes on the SRi models have a tendancy to seize up if they are Bosch calipers (Lucas calipers replaced the Bosch ones and solved the problem).

Can't think of anything else just yet.

#5 ·
I've just realised there isn't a sticky thread in this section for the common problems etc of the astra G... So with this in mind, I thought it would help other people out if you could all post up problems in here - that you know for a fact are pretty common, not just any so and so problem!!

Maybe separate them into sections for example (I don't know all the engine codes so...):

GENERAL

+Rear springs tend to break
+Rear disc brakes on the SRi models have a tendancy to seize up if they are Bosch calipers (Solution - replace with Lucas calipers).

PETROL ENGINES

Cambelt driven engines - water pump should be replaced at service intervals with cambelt

Z20LET

Air Flow Meters fail occasionally

Z18XE

DIESEL ENGINES

#6 ·
DIESEL ENGINES

1.7DTi:

Turbos and head gasket issues around 80-100k.
ECU sometimes burn out
Glow plugs fail leading to EML and obvious starting problems

2.0DTi:

Injection pumps fail at 60-80k if using crappy diesel (see Adsa/Morrisons, Tesco). £800 for a recon unit including fitting!
Turbos are weak, can fail at 80k
Injector seals can leak leading to starting issues
Injector spill pipes perish, also leading to starting issues
EGR problems due to clogging with soot

#8 ·
GENERAL

+Rear disc brakes on the SRi models have a tendancy to seize up if they are Bosch calipers (Solution - replace with Lucas calipers).

PETROL ENGINES

+Cambelt driven engines - water pump should be replaced at service intervals with cambelt

Z20LET

+Air Flow Meters fail occasionally

Z18XE

DIESEL ENGINES

1.7DTi:

+Turbos and head gasket issues around 80-100k.
+ECU sometimes burn out
+Glow plugs fail leading to EML and obvious starting problems

2.0DTi:

+Injection pumps fail at 60-80k if using crappy diesel (see Adsa/Morrisons/Tesco). £800 for a recon unit including fitting!
+Turbos are weak, can fail at 80k
+Injector seals can leak leading to starting issues
+Injector spill pipes perish, also leading to starting issues
+EGR problems due to clogging with soot

Thanks ZS :thumbs:

#9 ·
Pre 2003 2.2i

I read somewhere that the oil outlet for the timing chain is too small, and can become blocked - causing a snapped timing chain, and a much lighter wallet.

However, this isn't mentioned on Autodata, so I don't know. Anyone have an idea? My mechanic friend recommended that when you have the oil changed, flush it through with a load of cleaning gunk, just to be sure (Y)

#12 ·
GENERAL

+Rear disc brakes on the SRi models have a tendancy to seize up if they are Bosch calipers (Solution - replace with Lucas calipers)
+Anti-roll bar bushes dry out and you get creaking sound over large bumps

PETROL ENGINES

+Cambelt driven engines - water pump should be replaced at service intervals with cambelt

Z20LET

DIESEL ENGINES

1.7DTi:

+ECU sometimes burn out

2.0DTi:

+Injection pumps fail at 60-80k if using crappy diesel (see Adsa/Morrisons/Tesco). £800 for a recon unit including fitting!

@Mikehodges I'm just waiting to hear confirmation of what you said before putting it in. I personally have no idea if it is true or not!

#16 ·
GENERAL

+Rear disk brake seizure, Rear Bosch caliper seizure applies to all 1.8 16v/2.0Di 16v with ABS and all 2.0DTi 16v/2.0 16v as all these get the 264mm diameter rear disks (Solution - replace with Lucas calipers)
+Anti-roll bar bushes dry out and you get creaking sound over large bumps

PETROL ENGINES

+Oil outlet for the timing chain is too small, and can become blocked = snapped chain! (Solution - At oil changes flush and clean it, Early models only)

Z20LET

DIESEL ENGINES

1.7DTi:

+ECU sometimes burn out

2.0DTi:

Coming on good people, I'm sure there's more that can be added! Keep 'em coming :thumbs:

#18 ·
on the astra z18xe and the 1.6 8v the ticking noise coming from the engine cambelt area on start up (not carbon canister) seems to be a common one seen a thread on that one a few times.

#21 ·
Had to change the oil cooler at around 35K miles on the 1.7Dti, the cooler itself is not too expensive, but its a pain to replace as there are a lot of piping around. Also the cooling system will need a good flush as it will get contaminated with oil. They seem to fail often here, could be bec of hot weather here at Malta?
Also a common problem is alternator failour...touch wood, mine is still going!

#22 ·
The only problem i've found with the z18xe is the airflow meters dont like induction kits, stick with a panel filter, took me 2 air flow meters to realise this, i also get the ticking sound on start up but it tends to fade as the engine warms.

#25 ·
I wouldn't laugh but I do think you're wrong - it's even more important to change the water pump at same time as cambelt on an 8v - at 80k change interval, the water pump won't have much life left in it and will only double your costs if you leave it.

#31 ·
Drop links Astra G

The drop links on the front suspension wear - not enough to fail an mot BUT enough so you get a knocking noise from the front suspension when going over bumpy road surfaces, just had mine done, loads better, car had only done 40,000 miles. (Y)