Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says...I've got the xpack 1.7cdti but getting a good deal on a 60 plate 1.8 petrol sri...

What common faults are with these cars, and what are they like on fuel?..

Anything you guys mention will be helpful..thanks

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Seriously are they that juicy?...hmm

What would you get on 20 quid roughly?..
You'll get about 100-120miles with £20.

Mines 1.8 but I've got a twintop which is heavy as ****. If you click on my sig, you will see the MPG I'm getting and how much I've filled up etc.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I get 120mls max from my 1.6 which is basically the same engine and that's from short journey town driving. Managed 540mls on the motorway sitting at 70mph, which I didn't think was too bad.

Going from a diesel to a petrol you'll think there's leak somewhere.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I have the 1.6vvt which is in effect the same as the 1.8vvt with the exception of it of course being a bigger cc :lol:

I was always told they are bullet prof engines, which they are really, but it came to light recently after I had a minor issue that the VVT sensor can be an issue. I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I am lead to believe oil flows through the sensor and in turn can block and stops the cam positioning altering eliminating the VVT function and bring the power down. Mine cleared luckily. Not massively common, but can happen and is around £120 for a new sensor

Worth doing a pedal check on any car you view and have a list of codes handy for reference :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have a 1.8vvt and get roughly between 30-34mpg dependig on driving style, as for issues, this is my second one and the only problem I have had is the heatshields above the exhaust underneath have fallen off, combined over 2 cars thats about 80k worth of driving
Mine did that driving back from Wales lol! Put it back on with a bigger washer and sorted.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I've owned my 1.8 vvt for 5 years now and covered 100k with only common issues i.e. exhaust heat shield coming off, anti roll bar links, exhaust flexi snapping & wiper linkage going kaput.

Its a good solid engine.

MPG is around 34-38 for me but I cover mostly motorway miles these days.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys, thanks for the feedback..tbh 30-35 mpg local is good in my eyes, as my 1.7cdti is mapped and I've been getting the same roughly, mainly down to my heavy right foot to..

Think I might go for it now....

·
Registered
713 Posts
Mines been faultless for 2 years since owning it. I'm currently on 33.2 mpg over the last 5.5 k miles.
When i do long motorway runs i can get 38-39mpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mine's the 1.6 vvt, had the vvt solenoids changed at a service when i first got the car. The wiper linkage issue is accross the whole range i think, just replaced the rods on mine which has helped a bit.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
The only issue, as stated, is the vvt solinoids. Rare but if you clean the filters with its service you will be fine. The rest is solid. Usual Vauxhall problems of lambda sensors and maf but even that's rare. Mines is solid and gets driven fairly hard. 70k and no issues. Good engine. I have a few mods too. My mpg is at 27.4 now and is creaping up. That's decatted etc so understandable that it's thirsty

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've owned my 1.8 vvt for 5 years now and covered 100k with only common issues i.e. exhaust heat shield coming off, anti roll bar links, exhaust flexi snapping & wiper linkage going kaput.

Its a good solid engine.

MPG is around 34-38 for me but I cover mostly motorway miles these days.
How much did you pay for your new wiper linkage?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1.8vvt and get roughly between 30-34mpg dependig on driving style, as for issues, this is my second one and the only problem I have had is the heatshields above the exhaust underneath have fallen off, combined over 2 cars thats about 80k worth of driving
Did it affect the car at all mine has fallen off as well no change had a look under there doesnt look like there is anything sensitive down there

1 - 15 of 15 Posts