Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've just had code 68 come up on my Astra J 1.7CDTi, along with the power steering and ABS lamps. Power steering feels fine - I haven't tried the ABS!

The code seems to mean 'service power steering' but I've read on another forum that this could just be a failing battery. Certainly I think mine is as it's sometimes sluggish to start and has exhibited some curious electrical / electronic issues of late - e.g. the dashboard indicators sometime flashing at an intermittent rate especially when the battery appears to be low on charge. I'm hardly using the car at the moment so that's not going to be helping the battery of course. Car is 7 years old and I think has the original battery.

I've also just had the cam belt and an exhaust gas sensor replaced (by a Vx dealer). I mentioned the battery issue to them and they said they tested it and it was ok. I'm wondering whether there's any cabling that might have been disturbed by them doing the above work that could have a bearing on this latest issue.

Does anyone have any idea on the battery theory, or indeed the cabling one? Having already spent £575 in the past month I'm not looking forward to what could be an expensive repair if it's not something as simple as the battery.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If you have a battery charger at home i'd get the battery fully charged first and see if you still have code 68 when driving after charging it,7 years is quite a good time to get out of a battery so it will be past it's best even though the dealer have given it the ok.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Valer,

Sorry - thought I replied to this a week ago but looks like it didn't save. The code 68 and the two lights went away on the next ignition have not reappeared since. So I guess it was a one-off, possibly due to low battery voltage. I do get other strange behaviour when the battery is obviously low - e.g. the dashboard indicator lights and audible 'bong' run at an intermittent rate sometimes. Again, that clears on next ignition. Will keep an eye on the battery - a new one certainly wouldn't go amiss.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts