Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Over the last 2 months I've noticed that my Astra 1.9 cdti has been making a loud squealing sound when the clutch is being engaged (lifting foot off pedal), typically from 1st gear/ reverse gear and usually when the engine is cold. I've also heard the same squealing when releasing the clutch after engaging 2nd gear. Typically the squealing will become less and less audible as the engine warms up, although it's still noticeable.

As this is a diesel, I typically let the glow plug light go out first before attempting to start the engine and I let it warm up for a few minutes before setting off.

I initially thought it would be one of the clutch springs or throw out bearing, so I have taken it to Vauxhall and during a service they have not found anything wrong with the clutch or transmission (manual). However the garage also wrote in their report they were not able to replicate the fault which is complete nonsense as even when I drove my car away from the garage this morning I heard the same squealing although it was slightly less audible.

I'm wondering if this could be a problem with the pilot bearing on the flywheel?

Incidentally, when disengaging the clutch (pressing clutch pedal & regardless of what speed I'm going) there is no noise whatsoever.

Vauxhall have already lubricated the clutch pedal linkage which has not made any difference.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar on the Astra?

Do you think this could indicate a clutch that is about to fail? The car has only done 23K miles.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.:)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I get the same with my car. First thing pulling off when cold in 1st gear. Then after a mile or two noise goes. I'm just ignoring it and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get the same with my car. First thing pulling off when cold in 1st gear. Then after a mile or two noise goes. I'm just ignoring it and hoping for the best.
Yes I was just hoping to ignore it as well, however now I have a new problem. When disengaging the clutch (when the car is stationary and in neutral or even in gear) I hear a strong rattling from the engine compartment. It goes away the moment the clutch is engaged when pulling off however this now happens when the engine is cold and even after driving for several miles after it has warmed up. Could this be an issue with the DMF, clutch or transmission?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts