Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening folks (Y)

I wanted to check with you guys the problems I've been having over last 2 days:

- gear stick very hard to put into any gears (1-5)
- experiencing a lot of resistance and clunking noise when it does eventually go into gear
- severe grinding/crunching noise when putting into reverse
- only seem to have issues when engine is on, no resistance or clunking in gears when engine off
- have had to switch engine off at junctions and traffic lights to get into 1st or had to pull away in 2nd gear

My car: Astra 1.6 club (04 reg) [not impressive I know :look: ]

This only started on Friday afternoon and is getting worse

Going to garage on Monday morning but would prefer to have an idea of what to expect incase they try to mess me around.

All answers and help appreciated :thumbs:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Is the clutch hard to depress? Or really soft? Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging which is why you can't get it into gear (it's like trying to do a clutch less gear change).

Does it get better if the car is warm?

That's my thoughts anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response

I've noticed a slight change in the pedal feeling, it's the same cold and warm.

I have noticed that when in gear and with the clutch pedal fully down it feels as if the car still wants to pull away.

The symptoms are quite specific so was hoping someone may have experienced or heard of this and would know what it may be

·
Registered
299 Posts
Does sound like the clutch isn't disengaging which is why the car wants to pull away still. Someone will come along with a bit more knowledge than me soon :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Classic symptoms of the clutch 'dragging' and not disengaging fully. The fault could lie with the clutch itself or the slave cylinder. Possibly the master cylinder, but that's less common. The bad news is that the Astra uses a concentric slave cylinder within the bellhousing, so it's a gearbox out job whether the problem is clutch or slave cylinder. You don't give a mileage, but whatever the problem, I'd suggest changing both clutch and slave cylinder while the gearbox is out. It will avoid the box having to be removed and replaced at significant labour cost later if the other item fails.

MM

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car has 76,000 on the clock.

Having spoken with the mechanic this morning, caught him picking up rolls :lol:

He thinks it may be a hydraulic issue due to the car still pulling forward when clutch pedal fully down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good evening folks,

For the benefit of anyone who may experience similar symptoms which I did, I thought I'd update you's on how it went at the garage. . . .

The Mechanic showed me my clutch, some of the pressure plate splines had become uneven and deformed resuling in the clutch release bearing acting unevenlly upon the pressure plate.

End result = Clutch needing replaced including a bill for roughly £450

1 - 11 of 11 Posts