Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 2010 plate 1.7CDTi [125] SRi, 103k miles. I bought the car at 87k and have unfortunately already had to replace the M32 gearbox bearings at 99k. Another couple of noises have been bothering me lately:

The first one is a loud juddering sound that occurs around biting point when pulling away. It sounds like something is resonating about 900-1100rpm, and I can avoid it by revving a bit harder than usual when pulling away. Am I right in assuming this is the clutch? I also thought it could be something else metallic within the engine bay that resonates at these rpm's. Is it fixable?

The second (more worrying) sound can be best described as a light raspy/rolly rattle coming from the engine bay, which happens once the engine has warmed up (not when cold) - it makes the engine sound like it's running rough but I have a feeling it's not associated with the combustion process, but more likely something in the transmission or other engine ancillaries. It's only audible from the cabin as it gets drowned out by the engine noise under the bonnet so it's difficult to pinpoint. It happens when hot whether in neutral or in gear, clutch pressed or not, and at any rpm, and it is affected by revving the engine (the rattle speeds up but doesn't change in pitch). It's especially noticeable on overrun. I've not had much luck searching for answers, could it be a failing dual mass flywheel? Or perhaps some other belt or bearing that's on its way out?

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've just had a new gearbox and clutch fitted and I can replicate the judder so its either flywheel or just a car characteristic as they like to call it.Your second issue I suspect is AC related when you hear the noise turn on your AC and see if it disappears.It could just need a coolant top up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've just had a new gearbox and clutch fitted and I can replicate the judder so its either flywheel or just a car characteristic as they like to call it.Your second issue I suspect is AC related when you hear the noise turn on your AC and see if it disappears.It could just need a coolant top up.
Thanks for the reply :) I was sceptical but I tried it today and when I switch the AC on the noise does seem to go away! (or at least go quieter so I can't hear it?) Why would the rattle be there when the AC is off? Seems backwards to me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.