Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been posted before,

but today I took my car to the mechanic to refill the air conditioning gas so once that was done I notice my reverse lights kept going off and on whilst the mechanic was trying to reverse the car, and there's me thinking does he know what he's doing? lol.. Anyway.. he says he was testing the clutch because he realises the grind when putting it into reverse straight away after pushing up the button.

He told me the clutch is basically and I quote 'on its way out' (basically slowly dying) - So I wanted to hear from anyone if that's the case, plus I'm a newbie so bear with me because I notice the grind all the time, but when I wait a few seconds before putting it into reverse with the button pressed it doesn't grind and goes in reverse just fine; so I assumed it was fine and didn't bother to get it checked out.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Not sure its clutch, don't get me wrong it could be. But also could indicate a gearbox problem. If clutch was on its way out you'd notice the noise more when changing gear, and maybe even feel it slipping. See how it is for a few miles first.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure its clutch, don't get me wrong it could be. But also could indicate a gearbox problem. If clutch was on its way out you'd notice the noise more when changing gear, and maybe even feel it slipping. See how it is for a few miles first.
Hmmm, I'm taking it back there on wednesday for them to examine further, I just hope I don't have to spend too much money.. but I assume any problems with the gearbox/clutch is expensive, right?

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
the clutch on the air con, or the clutch on the car?

anyway, few things, its normal for the car to grind putting it in reverse quickly after going forward.

its also normal for it to be hard to get the reverse gear on occasion, depress and repress the clutch and it should be fine. (sure he wasnt doing this?)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IIRC its because the reverse gear has no syncromesh like the other gears do so often doesnt line up as well.

im sure thats what ive read at some point when the issue was discussed before
Mcbride I thought that too, because I remember from reading the astra manual book and I remember it saying when the clutch is pressed wait a few seconds before I shift into reverse.. unless it meant something else.. I don't know.:shrug:

·
Registered
953 Posts
IIRC its because the reverse gear has no syncromesh like the other gears do so often doesnt line up as well.

im sure thats what ive read at some point when the issue was discussed before
This is right. Think petrols do it more.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the clutch on the air con, or the clutch on the car?

anyway, few things, its normal for the car to grind putting it in reverse quickly after going forward.

its also normal for it to be hard to get the reverse gear on occasion, depress and repress the clutch and it should be fine. (sure he wasnt doing this?)
Too be honest I had no idea what he was doing lol.. I just saw my reverse lights going on/off at least 15times, but I don't want to take his words for it because he could just be assuming.. not that i'm the expert but the grinding has been there since I got the car (last september).. since then nothing has changed.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Think it could be a case of the mechanic trying to squeeze more money out of a poor unsuspecting customer (no offence) :)

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
It can be normal for it to do this, but if it was doing it over and over again it can be a sign the clutch frictional material is worn because reverse is the smallest cog, then first etc.

·
Registered
299 Posts
A mechanic tried to pull exactly the same trick on my mate with his car, thing is, he'd just had the clutch replaced :lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi mate , my 1.6 petrol does this. Its only on the odd occassion though. Vauxhall themselves told me it was nothing and that it was down to the design of the gearbox itself. The only thing you can do to rectify it is to put it inot reverse slowly by waiting a few secs and then taking it into reverse gear slowly. Nothing to worry about at all buddy! :thumbs:

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
The way I've been shown to check it is this:
1. CLutch down
2. Straight into reverse
3. Does it crunch? If yes...
4. Back in to neutral for a good few seconds
5. Back into reverse

If it still crunches no matter now long the clutch is depressed it is probably in the early stages of going. If it just does it the first time, it's perfectly normal. It sounds like this is what your mechanic was checking.

Another way to check it on a diesel is to pull the handbrake up three knotches, and try to move it in 1st using only biting point. If it stalls, the clutch is weak, if it doesn't and moves slightly it's strong. But this isn't exactly scientific on the basis that it depends on how strong your handbrake is, and it's not exactly great for your rear brakes!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm, I'm going give that a go lol.. Thnk it would crunch again after going back to neutral.

·
Registered
685 Posts
i used to get this is the time on my astra mk4 and its has happened once or twice on my mk5. before putting it into reverse put it into first then reverse and it rarely happens :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The way I've been shown to check it is this:
1. CLutch down
2. Straight into reverse
3. Does it crunch? If yes...
4. Back in to neutral for a good few seconds
5. Back into reverse

If it still crunches no matter now long the clutch is depressed it is probably in the early stages of going. If it just does it the first time, it's perfectly normal. It sounds like this is what your mechanic was checking.

Another way to check it on a diesel is to pull the handbrake up three knotches, and try to move it in 1st using only biting point. If it stalls, the clutch is weak, if it doesn't and moves slightly it's strong. But this isn't exactly scientific on the basis that it depends on how strong your handbrake is, and it's not exactly great for your rear brakes!
Scott I did what you said, clutch didnt crunch the 2nd time so it must be ok i guess.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts