Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Hooting is a terrible description of the sound - beeping would be a bit closer !

Hi Guys,

The other night I noticed a problem on my 2008 1.3 cdti estate.

(you can save the underpowered jokes for later once this stops breaking my heart ;p)

This came out of nowhere and I'm a bit annoyed as I had the car serviced about 3 weeks ago - full oil, filters, air etc

I had driven about 40km - mostly motorway, and then this rhythmical hooting noise started. It was quite loud - squeaky fan belt loud.

The next time I was driving, I noticed that the noise has alternated from a hooting (a clear note coming out) to a fainter clicking noise then.

It changed a bit depending on the following :

If I was driving 50kmph in gear, and disengaged the gears, the tempo (bpm of the sound) of the sound would revert to an idle tempo - engage the gears, sound was back at the tempo of the current gear speed.

I got to my destination which was close, and sat it up after a look in the engine bay with my mate.

Seemed to be coming from the back or back left of the engine. I originally thought it might be the alternator pully, but after looking today again I think it's further to the middle back of the engine - could be wrong on that though.

I took it for another drive, and got it onto a long stretch of road.
Initially, it didn't make any noise - though I was going very very easy on it.

After a few minutes of driving, it eventually been hooting a bit.

What I noticed was that if I pressed the accellerator, the noise got worse and louder.

If I took my foot off, the noise dissappeared (possibly back to the click but I couldn't hear it anymore inside the car) .

If I engaged a lower gear that I was in, and allowed the gears to slow the car down, the noise dissappeared.

Since then, two days ago, I've only driven it about 5k to the shop and back twice.
I haven't heard the hooting sound since. On start, it's normal sounding. Once I get back home 15 minutes later, I can hear the faint clicking.

I'm a bit freaked here - anyone any ideas of what this is ?

Cheers guys,

Al.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Quick update guys - and some Fault Codes I found.

Just had it out there, and the noise is very faint - but it's still there. It's a faint clicky noise that gets faster with accelleration.

Anyone ?!

I'm getting my mechanic to have a look and listen tomorrow, though I've to drive 40km to get to him - so hopefully all will be OK.

Al.

Fault Codes present on dash after test: I have no idea how long these are in there.

ECN 070406 P0704 Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction CRC (Electronic Cruise Control) B-010
ECN 224408 P2244 O2 Sensor Reference Cell Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1) C-028
ECN 161450 P1614 Immobiliser Wrong Signal Received Immobiliser B-008
ECN 101301 P0130 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1) C-028

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wonderful........dead battery this morning........first really cold morning out here. I hate this car more and more and I dont care if it hears me...........

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Have you had a look at what voltage your alternator is? It could possible be the pulley? Im sure they are a clutch pulley, she it may have finally failed and not re-charged your battery?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you had a look at what voltage your alternator is? It could possible be the pulley? Im sure they are a clutch pulley, she it may have finally failed and not re-charged your battery?
I hadn't gone that far no. Just back from the mechanic. He thinks it's the left most fuel injector. He told me to try some additive in it, and see how it goes before changing it - Funny enough, once I got to him, after 50km, the bloody thing was quite well behaved ! I've put half a litre of Dipetane into a half tank, and will see how it goes.

He also hinted that there may be some chancer garages around my way that are putting green diesel into their pumps..........I wouldn't put it past them either.

Anyway, right now, it's gotten much quieter. The battery problem has my focus now as the missus was late for work this morning because of it and I need to get that sorted asap. Will monitor the noise over the next few days with the addative in there and see if there's any difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts