Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning.

Just seen a topic about wheel prepping and it's reminded me I need to clean my alloys up, they're not painted or anything but just want to give them a little spruce.

Anyone got any recommendations for a product that's not too expensive?

Same goes for any polishing etc. Got some small little spots of polish that they've left all over the front bumper that I want to get out.

There's also some minor scratches in the car too. When I say minor I mean that I think the woman who owned it before has been brushing a bag and or keys have been knocked agains the handles.

There's only one bigger (more noticeable) scratch which is deep ish (2mm at max) that people have said I can T cut out? What the hell is T cutting? And can I do it myself? Haha

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
40,693 Posts
T-Cut is a hard polish, traditional and what granddads and dads normally advise as it was the only thing available to them years ago. Now the market is flooded with cleaning and polishing products. Depending where you want to go depends what you buy. 'Generally' people will pop to Halfrauds and buy from there. Auto Glym Super Resin Polish (SRP) is a genral good all round product that's readily available and will polish/mask most minor scratches fairly easily. The deeper scratch will need more work, elbow grease, if you haven't got a machine polisher. If you do use Halfords and just need a wheel cleaner than Auto Glym do a wheel cleaner and also do Meguiars. They're both aggressive but if your wheels haven't been cleaned for a while will do a great job.

Look in here for a wonder of cleaning geekiness http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?90-Detailing-and-Car-Care

·
Registered
23,527 Posts
For wheel cleaners I've found valet pro dragons breath to be one of the best and I've tried loads over the years

Polishing wise you're going to have arms like Popeye trying to correct by hand! If you are working by hand srp is decent at filling marks but won't get rid of them permanently by hand. Why not see if a member in your area will help you out and give it a quick hit with a machine polisher and some good quailty polish

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I use petrol to clean alloys, best thing imo.

T Cut is just a cutting compound, you can use much more expensive newer products, but they are also just cutting compounds. Depending how bad they are it might be worth wet sanding first. Generally speaking removing scratches is much easier with a Rotary or DA Polisher, but fiddly areas are easier by hand. I'd take the door handles off first.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So definitely looks better after a quick clean. Used the basics, soap and warm water then dried it off with some chamois leather. Took bloody ages though.
Cleaned the whole car and then forgot about the wheels so had to go ahead and give those a quick clean.

Lighting is a bit different on the two pics but deffo think it's looking a lot cleaner!

Will look into polishing and what not when I've got some more time... waiting to get paid on the 25th anyway and I'm suffering from tonsillitis D:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts