Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new Astra Sports Tourer yesterday and although it's a brilliant car, the inside of the windows are filthy. It looks as though whoever prepared the car wiped them over with an old oily rag, I'm sure the car didn't leave the factory like that.

Any help or advice about how to get the clean would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Yup, some decent glass cleaner (i use Koch Chemie) and about 3 microfibres, 1 of which a specific short pile glass cloth. Spray liberally and wipe with your first cloth, then use the glass microfibre to remove anything else and wipe finally with the third for a streak free / lint free finish. It's how I do my glass, both inside and out and works for me. I'm pretty particular when it comes to clean glass..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all the help Ant, really appreciated. Without sounding too dim, can I ask if the special microfibre cloths for glass are marked up as such? Not really sure what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Thanks for all the help Ant, really appreciated.
No bother :) May take a couple of goings over if it's that bad. Remember, when you're cleaning the inside of the glass, spray the cleaner on to your first cloth, not the glass as the mist will generally land on the trim. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn’t have accepted a new car from a dealer in that condition!
The car was under a veranda at the dealership and it was only after I'd driven a mile or so and the sun came out that I could see the film on the windows. The dealership have been told about the condition of the windows. The rest of the car was spotless.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, some decent glass cleaner (i use Koch Chemie) and about 3 microfibres, 1 of which a specific short pile glass cloth. Spray liberally and wipe with your first cloth, then use the glass microfibre to remove anything else and wipe finally with the third for a streak free / lint free finish. It's how I do my glass, both inside and out and works for me. I'm pretty particular when it comes to clean glass..
The Koch Chemie cleaner arrived over the holiday and as I was pushed for time I only cleaned the inside of the passenger half of the windscreen as that was the worst. I then took the family to the local shopping centre and, as I often do, I gave up and went to sit in the car. As it was pouring with rain the windows steamed up before long but funnily enough, the half of the windscreen I'd used the Koch Chemie on hardly misted up at all where all the other windows were quite bad.

As soon as I have more time, I'll use the Koch Chemie on all the windows. Should be worth all the effort.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To add to the thread above, as most have said it's a pain to clean the inside of the windscreen but recently, I found the Halfords Extendable Screen Cleaner and all I can say is it's brilliant. It comes with a machine washable, detachable pad and spare pads are available.

Something that now sits readily to hand whenever the inside of the screen needs a clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts