Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as iv just purchased some autoglym HD wax from ardenvxr im now keen on looking at buying some clay bar to clean the paintwork as much as i can. what do you guys use and how much isit all? thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
Well, the effect lasts about 3 months if your car is kept outside so worth reapplying once a season... as for the clay bar itself, I cut it into thirds and use one piece each cleaning session (unless I drop a bit, in which case it's best to use a new bit rather than risk rubbing grit into your paint)... so that pack of 2 clay bars, approx a year and a half? So not bad value still.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well as soon as payday is here will have to treat myself to some more cleaning stuff haha

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
as iv just purchased some autoglym HD wax from ardenvxr im now keen on looking at buying some clay bar to clean the paintwork as much as i can. what do you guys use and how much isit all? thanks!
I have a clay kit in the garage that i've never used its about 2 years old. Was only £10-£15 got it from Juicy.

You'll soon have a nice sparkling car mate, I may do one day, but its unlikely. :lol:

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've settled on Meguiars clay and Quick Detailer as the lubricant. I've tried others, but found this one to be really good (I haven't tried the Juicy ones though). The worst I used was from Sonus - the clay would start to fall apart in use leaving bits of clay on the car and requiring folder really often. Stay away from the Sonus one!

Claying is brilliant though - the difference in the feel of the paintwork is insane. It is amazing how removing tiny deposits on the car that cannot really be seen, make an overall difference to the look of the car. My Star Silver almost looks like it glows when it gets a propper wash/clay/polish/glaze/seal/wax/wax - but just doing clay then wax is still really impressive.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
bilt hamber clay and water as lube

if ya wana go the whole hogg then clay wont remove everything, tar and iron x before clay are good also

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Can't go wrong with this kit: http://www.juicydetailing.co.uk/special-offers/dodo-juice-clay-kit/flypage_images.tpl.html

£13.95, and all you really need to get started claying. There are plenty of helpful how-to videos on youtube too :)
this is what i use.

however i would recommend buying the clay and lube separate. Dodo make a concentrate version of the born slippy which can be diluted down so you get much more for only a couple of quid extra.

EDIT - just checked prices

2 clay bars = £8.05
500ml born slippy concetrate = £10.36

so about £5 more for much more as the born slippy dilutes 1:10

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a clay kit in the garage that i've never used its about 2 years old. Was only £10-£15 got it from Juicy.

You'll soon have a nice sparkling car mate, I may do one day, but its unlikely. :lol:
you have alot in your garage that you havnt used lol! i was tempted to get to work onit the other night as seeing a dirty vxr isnt right lol!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've settled on Meguiars clay and Quick Detailer as the lubricant. I've tried others, but found this one to be really good (I haven't tried the Juicy ones though). The worst I used was from Sonus - the clay would start to fall apart in use leaving bits of clay on the car and requiring folder really often. Stay away from the Sonus one!

Claying is brilliant though - the difference in the feel of the paintwork is insane. It is amazing how removing tiny deposits on the car that cannot really be seen, make an overall difference to the look of the car. My Star Silver almost looks like it glows when it gets a propper wash/clay/polish/glaze/seal/wax/wax - but just doing clay then wax is still really impressive.
what do you mean by glaze?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts