Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new K Astra ST that's only a few weeks old and I can't seem to get the windscreen clean.

I washed the car and then cleaned the screen using Chemical Guys Glassworkz and the screen looked great until I was driving home last night in the rain. There seems to be some kind of film which is visible when the wipers are used. I've watched a few videos on YouTube and noticing some people using a clay bar to clean their screens. Can I ask if this would help with removing the film of the windscreen or is there a better way altogether?

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
any clay bar will work as really it will just be getting used to pick up any debris on the surfact, a clay cloth is also a good alternative or the above that Tony has mentioned to degrease the windscreen, wipped down with IPA after words then some glass sealant should help things along.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Personally I’d suggest using 0000 gauge wire wool. I’ve done this in mine due to some epic wiper judder I couldn’t get rid of. It’s worked a treat!

Once it’s done, I used some gtechniq G5 glass polish before G1 sealant.

Ipa as suggested above is also good for cleaning glass.

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
Sounds like a waste of BrewDog to me. :thumbs:
I nearly bought ‘shares’ in Brewdog the other day. It’s actually more of a self managed crowd fund than a share offering but they’ve marketed it very cleverly

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help, really appreciated.

Can I ask where the best place is to get hold of IPA, do any of the online detailing stores stock it? I have tried a bottle of Super Wipe but that only says it "contains" Iso and its been around a long time so I'm not sure if it has a shelf life. Buying a new bottle would probably help.

·
27,716 Posts
Thanks for all the help, really appreciated.

Can I ask where the best place is to get hold of IPA, do any of the online detailing stores stock it? I have tried a bottle of Super Wipe but that only says it "contains" Iso and its been around a long time so I'm not sure if it has a shelf life. Buying a new bottle would probably help.
most chemists/ pharmacists should be able to get it over the counter, you can use surgical sprits/ rubbing alcohol but you need to make sure its not diluted with oily additives which can leave a residue.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just phoned my two local chemists and they both sounded as though I'd just arrived from another planet. Both claimed they'd never heard of IPA or Isopropyl. I've found it on Amazon so that's a start.

·
27,716 Posts
Surgical/ sprits is prob what they will class it as but it will be diluted, but surprised they didn't know what ipa is or isopropanyl alcohol.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
Worrying to say the lease. IPA is used in the manufacture of most mainstream pharmaceutical products

1 - 12 of 12 Posts