Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 506 Posts

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
I'm putting this thread together due to the abundance of people asking the same question about CIM units, and out of frustration about the misinformation being banded around, especially about recalls.

The Column Integrated Module (CIM) controls a number of electrical features controlled on or around the steering column, including lights, airbag, steering wheel volume control, etc.

From the very early days of the H (bear in mind I've been on here since 2006) there have been issues with the CIM. Common issues are the steering controls not working, the horn not working when the headlights are on, and the car randomly refusing to start and chucking up EML then starting without incident seconds later. If you do the the pedal test, fault codes 161450 and/or 161600 are likely to be present if your problems are CIM related.

Early on Vauxhall issued a modified wiring harness for the CIM, which was fitted under warranty if and when the aforementioned issues arose before an expensive new CIM was fitted. It quickly became apparent that this didn't really help in the majority of cases so save your £20 and don't bother.

Vauxhall did issue a recall for all Astra H and Zafira B in 2011. This was to fit a clip to the CIM, which is a preventative measure. It will not fix your CIM if it's already broken. Some people originally reported it magically sorted their issues, but that's likely due to the software update that was completed at the same time, which does irradiate the starting issue in some cases.

BBC Watchdog did a piece on this very issue, which isn't on BBC's site any more but the article exists under the title "The Horn that Doesn't Warn" if you feel like googling it. Because of safety concerns Vauxhall committed to replacing faulty CIMs on Astra H and Zafira B free of charge regardless of vehicle age, finally admitting it was a design flaw. They provided a telephone number, 0191 335 6828, for customers affected by the issue to contact them to arrange replacement.

So the steps to get your CIM replaced FOC are as follows:

1. Call 0191 335 6828 to speak to Vauxhall customer services

2. Explain you have an intermittent fault where your horn doesn't work when the lights are on, and you've seen the Watchdog article in which they commit to replacing all faulty CIMs regardless of vehicle age

3. Speak to their supervisor if you get through to a moron

4. Attain an authorisation code for the work

5. Contact your local dealer explaining the issue and give them this code

6. Your dealer will do the work and invoice Vauxhall

DO NOT take the car to the dealer before contacting Vauxhall, as it's likely you'll be liable for diagnostic fees.

This has worked for me several times, and countless members on here as recently as this year. There's a lot of misinformation even on here on this issue, such as CIM replacements being the recall etc. but if you follow the above you shouldn't have any issues.

And if you got here using the 'search' function, WELL DONE! :D

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Great stuff Scotty, I wanted to post this link on the Astra H FBook page, but tbh none will listen anyways unless it's about turbo flutter and massive lows.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just called, I'm booked in to have this fixed on Tuesday, and they're throwing in a full valet, they said makes sure you bring your locking wheel nut key for some reason?

The number I had to call for Vaux Customer Services was 0844 369 0112, 08000264970 was no longer in use.

Thanks for the thread!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Replacement CIM is covered FOC. My horn sometimes doesn't work but once a week or so sometimes my car doesn't start until unless I take the key out and try again - not a massive inconvenience but if they're fixing this stuff for free I might as well get it done.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I thought the CIM was only replaced under warranty for the watchdog problem (horn not working with lights on) and the other issues (intermittent horn, stereo volume up via horn, not starting up etc) were pot luck for warranty?

I don't actually know, so my apologies if I'm being stupid :p :lol:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought the CIM was only replaced under warranty for the watchdog problem (horn not working with lights on) and the other issues (intermittent horn, stereo volume up via horn, not starting up etc) were pot luck for warranty?

I don't actually know, so my apologies if I'm being stupid :p :lol:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
No you're right mate. But misc_brah said his horn isn't working when the lights are on so the other issues would also be sorted.

·
A.O.N. Full Member - Luke
5,869 Posts
Mine was that when the lights were on the steering wheel controls didn't work. And 1/10 times the horn wouldn't work. I emailed vx direct and got it fixed within a week.

If emailing make you reference the horn that doesn't warn peice as mentioned above. I also threw in a few statements like "I'm highly disappointed..." And "its a serious danger to myself and other road users"

Got the auth code in 2 days and work booked in a few days after that. Brand new CIM fitting. Asked them not to valet it too. They use scouring pads and fairy liquid.

·
Registered
202 Posts
No dice for me. The dealership are being right knobs over it. Even though Vauxhall customer care gave me a reference for the work, the dealership are refusing to do it as they say the recall has expired. They've kept my car to do diagnostics but they said they'd need to call Vauxhall to see if they're allowed to do it, so it doesn't sound positive. I think I'm just gonna buy a CIM from ebay and have it fitted / tech2d.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Might look into getting this done to mine. It's started playing up recently.

The horn sometimes wouldn't work if the lights are on.. The volume up on the steering wheel also sometimes doesn't put the volume up when the light are on.. Weird!

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Out of curiosity I just did a pedal test on the TT last night and guess what - 1614 & 1616 but it doesn't seem to have any issues at the moment. Not that it will stop me calling Vauxhall and getting it changed (Y)

Thanks for this Scotty (Y)

·
Registered
202 Posts
This makes no sense as the recall has nothing to do with it.
Tell that to the Dealership in Sunderland. I'm waiting for a call back but it doesn't look like it's getting done. They said one got declined last week but they hadn't gone through Vauxhall cust services like I have.

1 - 20 of 506 Posts