Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Got problem with my Astra. When I do 'volume up' on steering wheel controls the volume goes down. To get the volume to go up I have to press the right-side of the horn! Plus the horn doesnt work!

Ive read that it maybe due to a faulty clip behind the steering wheel or worst case scenario i'll need a new CIM module.

Just wondering if its an expensive/easy job? Or whether it could be fuse related?

I tried my local Lookers and mentioned about a 'factory recall' on this but there not interested.

Either way its going to need sort soon as it'll be an M.O.T failure otherwise.

·
15,092 Posts
Cheapest start point is the loom inside the wheel - this cures the fault some of the time.

If not then yes it will need a CIM. Not a big job, but the configuration needs reading off the old one and programming into the new one. This has to be done with either Tech2 or VauxCom.

The clip recall was a preventative measure and as you already have the fault it was designed to prevent you may as well ignore it.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
phone vauxhall customer services or try a different dealer to ask if yours has had the recall work done.

they will do this FOC for you so dont let any of them try to charge you

they put a blue dot on the back of the steering wheel if the recall has been done but its very hard to see, its behind the plastic cowl

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. Im only the 2nd owner and the previous owner never had a problem so i'd be safe in saying it never has been looked at. No idea how much i'd be looking at for it to be fixed or where my nearest Tech2/VauxCom is? Just dont want to be sheeling out loads for it to be fixed. I'd be quite happy if they just got the horn working again as volume control isnt a major issue.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
the point is that it should be done free of charge, its a manufacturing/design defect, and you have 6 years of warranty for that by law.

phone vauxhall customer services, tell them your horn wont work with the headlights on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have you tried loosening the steering and giving it a gentle bang up and down and in and out worked for me when my horn did not work and the horn increased the volume on the radio same symptoms as yours

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Have you tried loosening the steering and giving it a gentle bang up and down and in and out worked for me when my horn did not work and the horn increased the volume on the radio same symptoms as yours
No not tried that. Do you mean taking the steering lever off and doing it?

Have now and hey presto it all works!

Thanks very much :) You da man!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts