Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
The second option is better from the point of view that should you change your plans in the future you can reuse the sub or the amp. Personally I would look at the Vibe or Fusion stuff, you can get good deals on these and for my money they give a better sound

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one.

This will be wired through the CD30 MP3 so high level inputs it is. Should I bother with an RCA convertor as I've heard they aren't great or just run straight off the front speaker wires into the high level on the amp? Would use the rear speakers but they don't get the full signal in the H.

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
Nice one.

This will be wired through the CD30 MP3 so high level inputs it is. Should I bother with an RCA convertor as I've heard they aren't great or just run straight off the front speaker wires into the high level on the amp? Would use the rear speakers but they don't get the full signal in the H.
You wont detect a difference so just stick with the high levels

·
Registered
542 Posts
i have an edge 850watt active sub with vibe component speakers n tweeters makes a massive difference mate its by far not the best you can by butv
ike yourself i had a budget for what i use it for im happy with it. n they probaly come in with your budget.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ignore the above, an active sub is a good addition and an easy way of beefing up the sound
Exactly what I'm after. Fair enough it's not going to be an SQL marvel but it'll be a damn sight better than the CD30 and standard speakers alone.

·
Registered
15,498 Posts
I have a Fusion active sub, got it from Tony (Mollygoogle) and I'm very happy with it. As has been said, it won't win any competitions but I'm very happy with it (Y)

·
Registered
38 Posts
how simple is it to fit a sub without replacing the headunit? if you take a feed from the rear speakers do you lose sound all together from them? sorry if that seems like a stupid question! lol

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Ignore the above, an active sub is a good addition and an easy way of beefing up the sound
Sorry for getting lots of people are happy with noise.

With the standard head unit and front speakers, adding a sub just introduces low tones, will not complement the sound stage.

The weak link is the head unit; until this is changed there is no way of improving the sound. Adding a sub just gives a BOOM BOOM washing out the poor mid-tone’s already produced by the head unit. People then try to compensate by turning up the treble.

This then leads to a BOOM BOOM, TISS TISS, not a good sound.

Adding lower base to an ICE install needs to be balanced and matched to the intended choice in music. Following some very simple rules can dramatically improve the overall quality of sound, you don’t need to spend silly money on this (doing so will transform things, but that a different story).

Purchasing off the internet or places like Halfords is a poor choice. Go to any reputable ICE dealer that has demo cars or demo room and find out what it really is all about. A balanced sound system is enjoyable; throwing things together will always just produce noise.

Surprisingly if done right you can have base too loud to listen to in the car, but when trimmed down you can have a system that plays very loud emphasizing each sound on a track.

Even on a budget (bit more than £100) you can put together ICE that will bring out sounds in your music you never realised was there. The sound of a drum brush being topped then dragged over a base drum, each reverb of a snare drum, full resonance from a cymbal.

Acoustically a car can be setup better than the average living room or bedroom, get the sound point at ear level to converge over the handbrake and you now have a soundstage people will envy.

Most of the time I’m hitting my head against the wall, but for those who have actually taken the time to sit and listen to a balanced ICE system, know exactly what I am on about. You don’t have to go to the extremes I did in competition but the same basic rules apply.

Before you do anything spend £30 on some sound proofing and dampen your front speakers. 100% guaranty you will hear a difference. Now with luck, you’re on the right road to improving the sounds in your car. Just adding a sub is not the way forward for anyone, you cannot make a silk purse out of a pig’s ear.

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
Sorry for getting lots of people are happy with noise.

With the standard head unit and front speakers, adding a sub just introduces low tones, will not complement the sound stage.

The weak link is the head unit; until this is changed there is no way of improving the sound. Adding a sub just gives a BOOM BOOM washing out the poor mid-tone’s already produced by the head unit. People then try to compensate by turning up the treble.

This then leads to a BOOM BOOM, TISS TISS, not a good sound.

Adding lower base to an ICE install needs to be balanced and matched to the intended choice in music. Following some very simple rules can dramatically improve the overall quality of sound, you don’t need to spend silly money on this (doing so will transform things, but that a different story).

Purchasing off the internet or places like Halfords is a poor choice. Go to any reputable ICE dealer that has demo cars or demo room and find out what it really is all about. A balanced sound system is enjoyable; throwing things together will always just produce noise.

Surprisingly if done right you can have base too loud to listen to in the car, but when trimmed down you can have a system that plays very loud emphasizing each sound on a track.

Even on a budget (bit more than £100) you can put together ICE that will bring out sounds in your music you never realised was there. The sound of a drum brush being topped then dragged over a base drum, each reverb of a snare drum, full resonance from a cymbal.

Acoustically a car can be setup better than the average living room or bedroom, get the sound point at ear level to converge over the handbrake and you now have a soundstage people will envy.

Most of the time I’m hitting my head against the wall, but for those who have actually taken the time to sit and listen to a balanced ICE system, know exactly what I am on about. You don’t have to go to the extremes I did in competition but the same basic rules apply.

Before you do anything spend £30 on some sound proofing and dampen your front speakers. 100% guaranty you will hear a difference. Now with luck, you’re on the right road to improving the sounds in your car. Just adding a sub is not the way forward for anyone, you cannot make a silk purse out of a pig’s ear.
My time working with the likes of Pheonix Gold, Phase Linear, Nakamichi et al on competition winning installs means that I am well aware of sound staging, balancing, etc. What you fail to recognise is that the OP isnt looking for that, he is looking for exactly what I have advised him on, hence his positive reply. If you have the experience you state above then you would know that with some basic tweaks to the EQ settings on the HU and the correct amp set-up within the active sub you can easily create a much more rounded sound, rather than the BOOM BOOM TISS TISS which you suggest.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
my ten year old £15 fusion sub and amp does the same job as anything else, I dont know why people spend hundreds of pounds

its so good that while its out of the car its now hooked up to my tv surround sound

1 - 20 of 30 Posts