Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was changing my oil filter on my Astra and broke the oil filter housing. So now I am looking for options, should I get a new housing or convert to a metal spin on type?

However I don't know would the metal oil filter works or not since the oil filter housing itself have a plastic valve inside. I did some research and still not sure what is that for?

So any comment should I convert or not?

Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
The valve is almost certainly a filter bypass valve. This will open should the differential pressure across the filter get too high because it is badly blocked. It prevents the engine being starved of oil. Some vehicles have these built in to canister filters, others incorporate them in the block where the filter mounts. To check if a conversion is possible you need to look at the parts diagram to see if the canister filter can be fitted straight to the block when the current filter housing is removed, or if it needs another mounting plate. Or, indeed, if the block casting is the same!

MM

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
highly doubt you will be able to convert it to a metal canister, alot of work involed and there made with the block so no way of removing and then refitting a metal spin on canister type one,

can i ask how you managed to breake it, usually its one big nut on top and then the paper element comes out with ease?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
highly doubt you will be able to convert it to a metal canister, alot of work involed and there made with the block so no way of removing and then refitting a metal spin on canister type one,

can i ask how you managed to breake it, usually its one big nut on top and then the paper element comes out with ease?
actually the oil filter housing cap is very easy to be stuck. My mechanics broke mine 4 years ago.
I tried to unscrew the cap with my 3/8 wrench, which the cap is not turning, then i applied more force until the housing itself was spining 45 degrees and broke the flange. However I didn't pick up the housing was spining, the next thing I notice is the cap splited into 2 half.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts