Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Had a mate round helping me do a quick service on the car. It's a 08 plate 1.8 petrol.

We done air filter, then opened the plastic cover on the block. Decided at this point to move the car forward a bit to get on a bellter slant for oil change.

I turned the engine over and it sounded very sluggish for about ,2 seconds then cut off. From then on it won't start at all.

My mate says he unplugged the plug that goes into the side of the block, the one you disconnect when doing the spark plugs. but he is adement it was back in before engine started.

I got the rac out who tried to jump start, bump start, checked fuses, checks plugs were in as they should be, battery. All was good and he couldn't get it started. He said he thinks it was a problem with electrics and nothing getting to the starter.

When I turn the key so the lights all come on the dash the only things that stay on are spanner, battery, handbrake, and abs. The abs one flashes a bit. It flashes once, then twice and repeats.

When I go to turn the engine over it just clicks. Now the clicking noise we can actually feel under relay k7 in the fuse box. Can physically feel the relay clicking. Rac guy swapped relay about but didn't get anywhere.

Please can someone offer advise?

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
So you can turn the key and get the electrics on (i.e dash lights, etc)? If this works, try doing a pedal test and see if you get any error codes pop up. They may help narrow it down, although you'll only get error codes for the engine, so if the ABS light is flashing, it probably won't explain that one. I don't think I've ever known an ABS fault to stop you starting the car though

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for the response.electrics come on yeah, lights etc work.

Pedal test won't work. Have done it before maybe a few months ago worked fine. This time it just stays with my mileage on the wee display. It does feel as though my brake pedal isn't travelling as much as it would normally do though.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Well if it aint starting on a tow, and everything else is fine (sounds like it) then its probably immoby.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,718 Posts
Nope, it's deactivated when the key is put in the ignition, if its the issue the car with the spanner will flash when trying to start

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Did you change fuel filter? (dont know this engine so im generalising) not refilling the housing with fuel can cause air lock and be a bitch to start. Tis on my diesels

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Strange fault, especially if the battery is fine. Try a hard reset. Just disconnect the negative battery terminal for 30 mins and then try again. If you've only done what you said you have and everything is back together then there should be no issues.
Was the car running fine before all your work? If it was, I'd retrace all your steps and make sure everything is together as it should be. You never know, something could have been knocked loose.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Starter motor is turning manually from under car so isn't jammed. Gettting power upto the coil pack and mass air flow meter.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
So towing it to bump it didnt work. bypassing the starter. Imobby is fine. batt is good. No codes.

All thats left is a fuel supply or spark issue. Perhaps the coilpack has totally failed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is in a sense turning over. It doesn't with the key but we got the starter whirling from under the car. Power is getting lost somewhere between the key and the starter. Makes me think either immobaliser or starter solenoid.

At a loss. I just hope it isn't the ecu

1 - 20 of 32 Posts