Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just got back from a journey, I was travelling along the motorway absolutely fine but then when coming off onto a dual carriageway I noticed a loss of power and the check engine light came on, so I pulled over and plugged in my handy Bluetooth reader and it reported that a misfire has been detected on cylinder 1 and 2, it hadn't gone into limp mode so I decided to take it easy and just get home, as I started driving again the problem seemed to clear and start driving normally, I cleared the fault codes whilst stopped at some traffic lights and when I got home, no further fault codes had been generated.

I replaced the spark plugs last year with genuine ones, could this be the coil pack or should I be looking elsewhere?

I need my car for work so would like to get this resolved asap so any help and advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks.

·
40,693 Posts
If you replaced your Spark plugs last year it shouldn't be them as they are 4 years/80,000 miles I think. Most likely coil pack but could be just a hiccup if it's been OK since.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully, I might have the plugs out in the morning before work to rule them out, if it turns out to be the coil pack any recommendations on what to get from euro car parts as depending on when it packs up a Vauxhall dealer might not be accessible, they list two makes for my car which are haas and brm/valeo?

Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you are checking plugs swap 1 and 2 for 3 and 4 if the problem comes back it will show missfire on 3 and 4 if its plugs if coil pack try autovaux genuine parts half the price

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't get round to checking the plugs but took it for a test drive instead, it doesn't feel right but I was able to get to work, I've ordered the oem part from euro car parts to be delivered to me at work today and my intention is to keep it in the car until I can do some further investigating or until the existing one packs up which I can then quickly change!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a similar issue with my Fiesta, once I'd changed the Plugs and Coil Pack, I cleared the fault code and MIL Light it went back to normal.

Hope you get this sorted ��

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I'm replacing the coil pack but can't get the connector back on, it came off fine but for some reason it won't go back on either the new or old one, nothing appears to be damaged it just won't click into place, am I missing something?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It turned out that the orange rubber protector thing in the connector wasn't sitting right for some reason but is all done now, the only trouble is that the new coil pack doesn't appear to have solved the problem, the car still sometimes hesitates and judders but no more engine management lights or fault codes, so what next? Does the car need to "learn" the new coil pack? Should I replace the spark plugs? Or should I be looking at the fuel system now?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you had any Error Codes relating to the Coil Pack cleared since installation? For me, this made a big difference when replacing the Coil Pack?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I'm going to do some more investigations today as although I've not had any more misfires, its still running as rough as....

Would it be worth just replacing the spark plugs to rule that out?

With regards to live data, what should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance as always!

Carl.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Should I be worried? I presume the most likely thing that's happened is that the tips found its way into the exhaust system?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, what's the most likely outcome, bearing in mind it happened whilst the engine was under load at 70mph on Wednesday evening and I've been driving the car ever since and after replacing the plugs yesterday all appears fine?

If its likely to have caused damage to the cylinder, is there anything that I should be looking or listening out for without removing the head?

Thanks.

·
15,040 Posts
If it's fine now with a new set of plugs then I wouldn't worry too much. There is probably damage there but if it's not affecting the running then I'd save the money rather than pull the head. You'd know if the tip was still in the cylinder, mine knocked and banged at almost any revs.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, that's what I thought.

I did have a good listen to the engine after I replaced the plugs yesterday and it all sounded normal.

Do you think Vauxhall would be interested as it was a genuine plug that broke, not more than 15 months old?

Thanks,
Carl.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts