Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to take care of my car so yesterday a passenger tried to get access to the rear and the passenger door wasn't in position( when you hold it at a certain position, the car doesn't move) so it swings open wide and then bounced back a little back. I might be imagining things but when I open the car door there seems to be less resistance than before or I'm being paranoid about it.

Could this possibly damage my passenger door?

Is this mechanism designed to withstand such strains?

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean about the car doesn't move with the door in a certain position?

But, to answer your main question, yes the mechanism is designed to withstand a lot and can take all sorts of abuse

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think the only way to damage it like that would be if you open the door on a cyclist or motorcyclist or another car.. it'd have to be a huge impact to damage the mechanism like that.
Obviously consistantly opening it hard like that wont do it any good

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
It should be desgined to withstand a lot of abuse... but if I'm reading it right, are you saying that the door isn't holding itself at certain stages, but just swinging freely? If so, sounds like the check strap is broken. That's not the hinge itself, but it goes between the body and the door and allows it to stay open at certain positions. I had to replace mine as it was beyoned knackered, although that was a different car :shrug:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should be desgined to withstand a lot of abuse... but if I'm reading it right, are you saying that the door isn't holding itself at certain stages, but just swinging freely? If so, sounds like the check strap is broken. That's not the hinge itself, but it goes between the body and the door and allows it to stay open at certain positions. I had to replace mine as it was beyoned knackered, although that was a different car :shrug:

Nope the car door does hold certain positions but when you open the car door there should be a bit of resistance and I guess it feels a bit less resistance or it might be imagining things since Im too OCD with cars.

I was just concerned of the car door not taking that abuse where the door swings open freely as wide as it can go and then the car door bounces back a bit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think my dad was in a bad mood after being on the phone with someone so he opens the door from the inside and I think with a bit of force,the door opened as far as it can go and it bounced back which made me ****** off and now Im back to square one being concerned if the car door/check strap/parts of the car door will be al right :(, I just feel depressed when I see these things happen to the car.

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
I think my dad was in a bad mood after being on the phone with someone so he opens the door from the inside and I think with a bit of force,the door opened as far as it can go and it bounced back which made me ****** off and now Im back to square one being concerned if the car door/check strap/parts of the car door will be al right :(, I just feel depressed when I see these things happen to the car.
Two things

1. Don't let your dad in the car
2. Stop bloody worrying!

Your car won't break every time someone opens a door. These things are designed to be used hard

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry I guess I am being too paranoid but I like to take care of my assets, so they can last through out their life as ten/thousands isn't easy to be earned :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts