Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about buying salvaged cars, successfully blew mine up today and there's too many bits wrong with it to warrant fixing it so looking at a salage mk5.

Fixing it's not the problem I just know nothing about the buying process, if I'd have to inform dvla, what to tell insurance, any hidden fees involved? Looking to buy through copart

·
A.O.N. Resident Kidnapper
1,558 Posts
For the price you can pick up MK5's for nowadays I'd personally just buy a genuine one of a private seller. My uncle meddles around with copart a lot and my dad has in the past and I honestly don't see the appeal! I think it's good for high-end cars but you average car it's not worth the money - the prices aren't too far off what you'd buy a genuine one for and they can always have lots of issues that aren't visible or described.

Co-part have their fee, I believe you no longer have to tell the DVLA just apply for the log book and I'm sure you need to tell the insurance but tbh from what I've seen it doesn't make much if any difference in permium - all that it will mean is you get paid out less in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lovely thanks mate, yeah that would be ideal, trouble is moving house in under 2 weeks time, my car blew up so can't get much money from that and it's got 1-2k in upgraded bits on it so need another mk5 ideally. So funds are kinda limited having to buy another car from scratch with no px and the move to pay for.
I figured a salvage one would make sense then I could rip whatever I wanted off mine to help fix, plus break my car to recoup some of the costs of the new one. Jut no idea how to go about it :lol:
Thanks for the help though mate new to this (Y)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts