Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I couldn't find any reliable information on the web for what bulbs the Astra J uses, so I took every bulb out of my car and have compiled a list to help anyone who needs to buy spares/replacements. If anyone has additional information or corrections, let me know and I'll edit the top post to keep it as a complete reference.

(Updated 07/04/2015)

Exterior:
Astra J dipped beam headlight bulb: 55W H7 (477)
Astra J main beam headlight bulb: 55W H7 (477)
Astra J sidelight and DRL bulb combined: W21/5W (580) (also called 7443) INFO (for upgrade alternatives see this comparison and discusion here and here and a how-to)
Astra J AFL cornering bulb: H11 55W
Astra J front fog light bulb (MY10-MY12): H10-45W (Sylvania 9145 42W) PY20d base INFO
Astra J front fog light bulb (facelift MY13-): H11 55W
Astra J front indicator bulb: PSY24W (amber)
Astra J side repeater bulb: W5WY (501A) (amber) INFO (for a neater appearance, try silver chromed bulbs and/or smoked lenses)
Astra J rear indicator bulb: W16W (955 - but note that Halfords' 955 is 21w)
Astra J tail light bulb: W5W (501) (6 tail light bulbs in total)
Astra J number plate bulb: W5W (501) (two are used), or use these LED replacements as recommended in post 103 below.
Astra J brake light bulb: W16W (955)
Astra J reverse light bulb: H21W (435) (off-set pins) INFO
Astra J rear fog light bulb: H21W (435) (off-set pins) INFO

Interior:
Astra J front courtesy light bulb: W5W (501)
Astra J front map reading lights: W5W (501)
Astra J rear courtesy lights: W5W (501)
Astra J glove box light: W5W (501)
Astra J vanity mirror lights: 6615F (see post #19 below for more info)
Astra J boot luggage compartment light: W5W (501)
Here's a useful pdf guide to changing the interior bulbs in the Astra J.
Dash/centre console/instrument panel: TBC

GTC:
Astra GTC headlight bulb: 9012 (55W single filament provides both dipped and main beam)
(for discussion about alternative headlight bulbs for the Astra GTC, see this thread and info about using 9006 bulbs)
(for after-market HIDs see the how-to guide)
Astra GTC sidelight and DRL bulb combined: W21/5W (580) (also called 7443) INFO (same as on 5-door, but not can-bus monitored on the GTC so you can use LEDs see post #38 here).
Astra GTC front indicator bulb: 581 (amber with offset pins - silver chromed versions available)
Astra GTC side repeater bulb: W5W (501) (clear glass - amber colour is in the lens)
(The side repeater is interchangeable with the Astra H and Corsa D, including VXR surrounds. See post #22 in this thread for info on changing the side repeaters.)
Astra GTC front fog light bulb: H10-45W (Sylvania 9145 42W) PY20d base INFO
Astra GTC brake and tail light bulb (outer): P21/5W (except with LED tail lamps)
Astra GTC rear indicator bulb: WY21W
Astra GTC reverse bulb: W16W
Astra GTC tail light bulb (inner, on tailgate): W5W (501) (except with LED tail lamps)
Astra GTC rear fog light bulb: PSX24W
Astra GTC number plate bulb: as per 5-door Astra J above.
Everything else TBC.
For help on changing bulbs in the GTC go to this thread.

Notes regarding "CAN-bus" and LEDs
Most exterior bulbs on the Astra J and GTC are monitored by bulb-check circuits that report failed bulbs to the on board computer via the CAN-bus. If you replace these bulbs with LEDs or HIDs, the resistance of the bulb and the current it draws is different from a normal filament bulb, so the car reports a bulb failure. There are many so-called "CAN-bus compatible" bulbs on the market, but the Astra's bulb check circuits are very sensitive so most of these still result in an error message. Your alternatives are:
1) Use ballasts / load resistors that mimic the load of the original bulb more closely
2) Stick with filament bulbs (there are premium and whiter/bluer options available)
3) Install what you like (just don't overload the circuit) and ignore the error messages (they cause no harm - just annoyance!)
Interior bulbs are not monitored by bulb-check circuits. However, the dimming circuits which provide the fade-up/fade-down lighting effects do need a complete circuit path to drain current. If you install all LEDs you may find the lights do not fully go out. Using at least one so-called "CAN-bus ready" LED in each circuit solves this problem because the built-in load resistor provides a path for the current to drain.

Adjusting halogen headlights for driving abroad
The user manual says that halogen headlights don't require any adjustment for driving abroad, but that isn't really correct! As with most headlights, they have a beam pattern which is raised up to the nearside, and would therefore dazzle drivers when driving on the other side of the road. The Workshop Manual here shows that the procedure is to use a 6mm allen key (or philips screwdriver) to turn the height adjustment screw on each headlight down (clockwise) by 1.5 turns. This obviously doesn't change the beam pattern which is still raised to the nearside, but lowers it enough not to dazzle. Alternatively you can buy the stickers to stick on the front of the headlight to divert the relevant part of the beam downwards.

For more upgrades and how-to guides for the Astra J and GTC, refer to our how-to directory.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Iv just bort some of the Polarg M13 as MusicLoverUK recommended. Just waiting for delivery!

Anyone no ov any bright white H7's for the dipped beam? been looking for a while now n not came across any.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Iv just bort some of the Polarg M13 as MusicLoverUK recommended. Just waiting for delivery!

Anyone no ov any bright white H7's for the dipped beam? been looking for a while now n not came across any.
I fitted the Polarg DRL's on Saturday along with Osram Nightbreakers for main beam and dipped beam, was really dissapointed as the Polargs show how yellowish the Nightbreakers are, my next move is to try some Philips Diamond Visions as they seem to be nice and white, i'm sure some of the guys on here will have other suggestions too but search the forums for some pics and judge for yourself...wish i did :(

·
Registered
461 Posts
Go for the PIAA extreme White , I have both H7 and DLR's and they both run white and bright :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Go for the PIAA extreme White , I have both H7 and DLR's and they both run white and bright :D
Cheers, do they run bright white like the DRLs? Av u got a link to somewhere that supplies them aswell.

Thanks in advanced.

·
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
markm started the white DRL trend here on AON, so he knows what he's talking about!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Iv just been looking at the PIAA Extreme white bulbs and also came across PIAA Chrome Mirror White (LINK). Would these be alot brighter and whiter than the PIAA Extreme White?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Finally received my Polarg M13's yesterday and they are exactly what I wanted, they give of a pure white light.

Iv also managed to get my hands on some PIAA Extreme white bulbs, iv replaced my dipped and main beam with them. When i 1st put them in i was a little shocked as i cudnt see much difference. Once it went dark i could properly see how good they are. They also give off a brilliant white light. Thanks to markm and MusicLoverUK for the recommendations. Will post pictures soon. (Y)

·
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Following the interior lights discussion in the other thread, I have added the info to the top post (with help from Mixman (Y) ). I might get some pics and add a how-to for that at some point since the owners' manual doesn't help!

·
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More info on interior bulbs added to the top post today. Thanks altan for the info posted in the interior bulbs thread.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just had a quick look at that PDF on how to change the interior bulbs in the Astra J, by what i can see the "Vanity Mirror" bulbs are 31mm C3W.

Bulb list my need to be updated if thats right :D

·
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From that pdf I thought the same thing, but having checked the bulb in my car I'm not so sure. My bulb is 29.7mm long and 6.2mm diameter, with flat ends (like the fuse in a UK 13A mains plug) and doesn't say what power it is. The C3W has 'bullet' ends (probably not the right term, but you get the idea). So at the moment I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had a quick look at my "Vanity Mirror" bulbs today aswell and found the same thing as you (fuse like bulb). Quite confused at this now lol :dontknow:

Might have to investigate further into these bulbs.

Will keep you all posted if i find anything.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The Vanity Mirror bulbs are "6615F" see here:- Eiko 6615F. The original bulbs are marked:- "TS-14V1CP" (14 Volts, 1 Candle Power). I have measured the current at 100mA (0.1A), so are 1.4W. It's difficult to find a UK based supplier.

If you are going to replace them, you might as well use SMD LED's. Search Ebay for 6614F or F30-WHP SMD LED bulbs, as these are the same size/fitting as the original. In fact the LED equivalent may well be a little (blindingly) too bright, as each can come with up to nine LED's per bulb, 2 bulbs per mirror. Considerably more light output than 1 Candle Power (1.4W) each! You will just have to make sure you have your sunglasses on. I have seen bulbs with only 1 SMD LED, perhaps they will be OK. Trial and error.

The bulbs (fuselamp - glass fuse shape with metal flat ends) are as follows:-
6614F = 32mm long, 6mm dia. - 14V - 0.05A - 0.7W
6615F = 32mm long, 6mm dia. - 14V - 0.1A - 1.4W (these are the ones fitted).
F30-WHP = SMD LED.

note:-
SMD = Surface Mounted Device
LED = Light Emitting Diode

·
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info Rob - I've updated the top post :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 122 Posts