Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
Just rewire your fog lights to take there feed from the brake system (Y)

·
15,092 Posts
Why would you want brighter lights? More power for a fixed voltage means more current, which squares to give even more heat, which melts the lamp, or the wires :shrug:

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Why would you want brighter lights? More power for a fixed voltage means more current, which squares to give even more heat, which melts the lamp, or the wires :shrug:
Because ive got heavily tinted rears and need the brighter light to shine through :D

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
You can get 8w LED canbus rear bulbs at £27 a pair but there no brighter than a standard bulb, nor E-Marked for UK use.

These would work.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-...ts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3368847292&_
These lights are garbage. They arent even the SRI ones. I just would like to know which LED's are brighter than the others? A normal light bulb for a domestic appliance has the wattage on it. A fluorescent light will be marked with the 'lumen' rating which determines its brightness. There is also a code for LED's which tells of their brightness, i just dont understand the various codes applicable to each LED and i just would like someone who is in the know to tell me which canbus LED's are the brightest? :)

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I would worry about the reflector when your lights are off, thats what mr plod will pick up on.
Thing is.....the law doesnt actually say you have to display clear rear lenses. It does say you have to display rear red lights at night, red braking lights, amber indicator lights and white reversing lights. You can have dark lenses as long as sufficient light shines through.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
LEDs are often quoted in Lumens and Candela "CCD", the higher the brighter, to confuse matters they are also sometimes quited as x Watt equivalent.

I would suggest that, if no-one comes back and says, "these brand x lamps are excellent", then purchase a set and trial them.

The bigger the number the higher the O/P

Please bear in mind if it's a single LED there is a viewing angle too, so a 30 degree lamp of the same O/P power lamp at 120 degrees will "look" brighter straight on but will be poor from off straight.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
LEDs are often quoted in Lumens and Candela "CCD", the higher the brighter, to confude matters they are also sometimes quited as x Watt equivalent.

I would suggest that, if no-one comes back and says, "these brand x lamps are excellent", then purchase a set and trial them.

the bigger the number the higher the O/P

Please bear in mind if it's a single LED there is a viewing angle too, so a 30 degree lamp of the same O/P power lamp at 120 degrees will "look" brighter straight on but will be poor from off straight.
Got ya! So a brake light would be better with 30 degrees as its seen directly from the rear, wheras an indicator would be better with 120 degrees as its seen from the back and the side. Im going to have a look now at those codes youve given me. Cheers matey! :D

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
It actually doesn't matter if the lamps are not canbus you can add the approprate resistor in line and make them canbus compatible. Its all about drawing the current "expected" by the system.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Yeah i think im getting the gist of it. Problem is, how do i know the correct resistance to administer to each LED? I wouldnt be confident tackling this myself on the car in case it goes wrong and im left with wiring probs...............and a car electrician would probably be pricier than the pricey canbus LED's in the first place? :confused:

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
A guy on another thread has sent me a link to some canbus LED's in King Dong, which state they are twice as bright as normal bulbs. At £6 for the pair inc post i may give them a try :look:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
A guy on another thread has sent me a link to some canbus LED's in King Dong, which state they are twice as bright as normal bulbs. At £6 for the pair inc post i may give them a try :look:
In WHERE?

Wasn't King Dong a coloured star of gonzo movies in the late 70's early 80's?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yeah i think im getting the gist of it. Problem is, how do i know the correct resistance to administer to each LED? I wouldnt be confident tackling this myself on the car in case it goes wrong and im left with wiring probs...............and a car electrician would probably be pricier than the pricey canbus LED's in the first place? :confused:
You need Stampede!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts