Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am wondering if i should be concered about a brake noise coming from my front left brake.
It a deep rumble/groaning sound. Its not very loud and doesnt happen all the time but more often that not.
You can also feel slight vibrations on the brake pedal. The brakes seem to work fine though.
I washed the car on friday and it was on friday evening when this started happening. Im not sure if that has anything to do with it though.

I better mention that its an Sri CDTI. 1.9 Diesel.

Many Thanks

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,704 Posts
chance's are its just surface rust, does it do it on the short time/distance after the car is started or is it intermittent, regardless of how long the car has been driven?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just had somebody at work look at it. He thinks that its the brake pads. The Front discs aren't exactly smooth either.
Hopefully i'l just need new brake pads and not discs aswell.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Had a similar problem on a previous car, it was the brake pads. Pads had worn down almost to nothing and the brakes would give a rumbly groan sound at low speeds, especially whilst going around corners. It was easy to diagnose, just had a look at the pads and there was nothing left on them ;)

Got away with just replacing the pads - my discs weren't shot but I guess that's individual to the car.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
if u can feel movement on the brake pedal when u apply the brake then u need new discs as they are possibly warped (usually can feel the pedal moving up and down slightly when u pressing the brake pedal)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mine was... if its still braking OK then chances are it will be fine until Monday. Just keep it in mind and don't drive it hard until they're sorted.

Disclaimer:
The above is not to be taken as definitive advice and should only be used to form your own opinion. I take not responsibility if your brakes don't work and you run into the car infront ;):mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Take a picture through your alloys and post up, getting your pad thickness and disc condition in, might shed more light.
Could be warped discs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had a similar problem on a previous car, it was the brake pads. Pads had worn down almost to nothing and the brakes would give a rumbly groan sound at low speeds, especially whilst going around corners. It was easy to diagnose, just had a look at the pads and there was nothing left on them ;)

Got away with just replacing the pads - my discs weren't shot but I guess that's individual to the car.
My car is an 08 plate so i am hopeful that the discs will be okay for now.

·
Registered
244 Posts
So did you have to replace your discs aswell as your pads?
The rumbly noise I suffered was on a different car and to fix that problem I just changed pads.

My current car failed its first MOT on its front brake discs being overly worn (you could feel a "lip" around the outer edge of the disc if you ran your finger over the disc surface) but my brake pads looked like new?

When I bought it the dealer said it had just had new discs & pads so they were either sh!te or they were fibbing, and me being me I probably didn't check through being too excited about getting a new car :p. For my current car to pass it's MOT re-test I just replaced the discs.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I had to replace all the discs and pads on my 18 month old vRS as they were *******.

Depends on driving and quality of parts.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.