Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove my bootstrip and grille as part of a swap with a member on here, however I need to use the car tomorrow, and it needs removing tonight.

My question is, when the bootstrip is removed, does it leave any holes exposed for water etc to get into?

Also, is it safe to drive a few miles over the next day or so without the front grille on? I'm not sure how it will affect the bonnet being secured?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,901 Posts
hi mate, you can drive round with the black bit of the grille on
all i would do is tape the holes up till you get the other boot strip, keep the connection inside the boot and connect the handle up,

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. Hopefully I'll get yours soon then :)

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
No worries over the bootstrip. It will leave 6 or 7 small holes that you can put pieces of electrical tape over to stop the water getting in. You wont be able to get in the boot though from outside as the bootstrip wiring should be taped securely in the recess. Cant comment on the front grill, but im sure someone else will be along in a minute to comment :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do I open the boot to fit the replacement bootstrip? Is there a manual catch or anything?

·
Premium Member
14,901 Posts
before you shut the boot connect it back up inside then when you need to open the boot, pull the back seats down and open the boot

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's chucking it down, if I wire it up and then go through the rear seats when the new one arrives, hopefully that will work. I'm getting worried about water getting I'm though now.

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
It's chucking it down, if I wire it up and then go through the rear seats when the new one arrives, hopefully that will work. I'm getting worried about water getting I'm though now.
Fair enough. Masking tape may not be the best idea then. Do you have some sort of waterproof tape? Might be worth using that to at least cover the holes to stop the water getting in? :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bloomin bolts holding the bootstrip on are so long my socket set won't get a grip in the nuts. Grrrr..

·
Registered
15,498 Posts
My solution to opening the boot was to poke the connector through the hole, secure it and then when you come to open the boot, just get a small length of wire, strip off the ends leaving 3-4 mm of copper showing.

Now simply poke the exposed ends of the wire into the plug and shazam! The boot will open without having to disconnect the switch from the strip or muck around in the boot (Y)

Also I left my car for a week with no bootstrip and the plug poking out of the hole with no problems. Also drive around for a week with no front grille either :D

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the awful pics. Wire connected up again, don't want to strip any wires. Is this all I need to do in order to open the boot again?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bootstrip removed and holes taped up.

Next question, how is the chrome v grille separated from the black plastic part?

Almost there! Thanks guys

·
Registered
15,498 Posts
There's a row of little chrome clips that hold it on to the backing, just take your time and pop them off with a thin flat bladed screwdriver. You'll probably break some but if you don't break too many it should hold it still (Y)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It seems to have split off into two separate chrome parts, is this okay?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Correct. All separated now. Two small clips broken, not badly though. I'll superglue these now. It'll still be very secure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts