Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2008 1.6 astra twintop (116bhp).

I've had to remove the brake lines on the ABS pump to get access to the PAS pump (removal)

Obviously there's air in the brake lines now. Ive got a 1 man bleeding kit but will the ABS pump need activating when bleeding with something like opcom to completely remove all the air?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
You should be okay if your one man kit is a pressure bleeder

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What a bloody mess this turned out to be.

Put 2 litres of fluid in the bleeding kit. Screwed the cap tightly on the Reservoir, started pressurising the system, I didnt even get to 2bar and the fluid just ****** out the reservoir. Seal on the cap is no good. I was fuming. Fluid ****** out all over the place. Was brand new bleeder as well.

Anyway, I've had to order some more brake fluid and try again.

I remembered I've got one of them hand held vacuum pumps. Ive never used it for brakes before, are these capable of removing air and bleeding the brakes?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do it the normal way get someone to pump the peddle
Never done it this way before, is it a case of just pumping the brake pedal a few times, then on the last stroke hold the pedal down then undo the bleed screw. Then close the bleed screw why keeping the pedal down?

does the engine have to be running?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
yip thats it a couple of pumps hold down open bleed screw hold peddle to floor then close one of the first things you learn ed back in the day.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
If you bleed it the manual way just get whoever is pumping to go slowly,
yes you can use a vacuum pump for bleeding but the biggest issue is getting the hose to seal nicely round the bleeder to stop it drawing air,that clear tubing they supply with them is usually too hard to do the job properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts