Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone was stuck in traffic near the Sheffield parkway today at 4 pm… apologies!
Went to set off from the roundabout and heard a thunk, complete loss of drive. I can change gear and revs increase but no drive at all.
Had to get recovered, noticed on the flatbed a bit of fluid, a bit red, gearbox fluid?
Recovery guy said he thinks it’s the nearside drive shaft. Does it sound like the driveshaft?
Had the clutch done before Christmas, and they had to lift the engine.
Any advice? It’s a Z16 XER, Astra h

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
It does sound potentially as though a driveshaft has popped out,
it only needs a broken or incorrectly fitted inner circlip on the shaft for that to happen.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If anyone was stuck in traffic near the Sheffield parkway today at 4 pm… apologies!
Went to set off from the roundabout and heard a thunk, complete loss of drive. I can change gear and revs increase but no drive at all.
Had to get recovered, noticed on the flatbed a bit of fluid, a bit red, gearbox fluid?
Recovery guy said he thinks it’s the nearside drive shaft. Does it sound like the driveshaft?
Had the clutch done before Christmas, and they had to lift the engine.
Any advice? It’s a Z16 XER, Astra h
fellow sheffield bud.. can't have imagine the chaos you created on parkway haha!
can have a look for you if youre near by at all... have you had a look at all?
i'd jack the front of the car up, but the car in gear and see if both wheels turn or just the one. likely is the driveshaft popped from the front passenger side.. as that is the shaft that is removed when changing the clutch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the replies! Definitely didn’t make any friends on the parkway, even 3 coppers went past and just stared.
I had a quick look earlier on, couldn’t see anything obvious with the box and hardly any oil has come out, just the bit on the flatbed so I’m hoping the shaft has just popped out.

I didn’t have drive to any wheel, when it was on the ground.

Just waiting on the garage who did my clutch to pick it up. Let’s see what they say.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Cheers for the replies! Definitely didn’t make any friends on the parkway, even 3 coppers went past and just stared.
I had a quick look earlier on, couldn’t see anything obvious with the box and hardly any oil has come out, just the bit on the flatbed so I’m hoping the shaft has just popped out.

I didn’t have drive to any wheel, when it was on the ground.

Just waiting on the garage who did my clutch to pick it up. Let’s see what they say.
haha no prob bud!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts