Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 1658 Posts

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
UPDATES
XP roof sppiler update, page 1 post #13
Break cooling ducts, page 2 post #24
Penta's part 1, page 3 post #35
Penta's part 2, page 4 post #48
Car cleaned and as it stands (20/09/11), page 5 #83
5 speed VXR gear stick. page 11, #160
VXR Intake, page 15, posts #212 & #217
Map Light LED's, page 16, post #235
Boot LED, page 19, post #271
Boomerang Armrest, page 19, post #278
Eonon D5107E Head Unit, page 21, post #308
K&N pannel air filter and Blue/Red SMD conversion, page 24, posts #349 & #352
Smokers pack front ashtray part 1, page 26, post #380
Smokers pack front ashtray part 2, page 27, post #404
VXR Steering Wheel, page 33, post #488
Brake upgrade part 1 (black coated MTEC drilled/grooved discs front and rear), page 35, post #512
Lowering part 1 (springs) and tinted side repeaters, page 36, post# 527
Brake upgrade part 2 (EBC Green Stuff pads), page 37, post# 549
Lowering part 2 (VXR dampers), page 38, post#562
Lowering and brake upgrade complete - the first photo set, page 42, post# 622
Lowering and brake upgrade complete - the second photo set, page 44, post# 652
2012 Rolling Road results, page 45, post# 665 & #667
Various mini-updates on page 45
Mini-update, page 46, post# 679
Smokers pack front ashtray part 3, page 46, post #683
Custom stainless steel flexi-back exhaust and DTUK pressed metal plates, page 48, post #707
Window tints, page 52, post #763
PVS 2012, page 53, post #781
VVT spark plug cover, page 55, post #821
Under bonnet sound deadening, page 57, post #845
Battery jacket, page 58, post #864
Piano black dash Part 1, page 58, post #866
Fixed Whiteline RARB Part 1, page 59, post #882
Piano black dash Part 2, page 63, post #933
Fixed Whiteline RARB Part 2, page 64, post #953
TRAX 2012, page 66, post #978
VVT theme continued, page 67, post #998
Eyebrows part 1, page 69, post #1029
Front end facelift sneak peak, page 70, post #1046
SMD conversion part 2 - Piano Black Dash part 3 - XP aerial base, page 73, post #1085
TRAX 2012, page 66, post #978
VVT theme continued, page 67, post #998
Eyebrows part 1, page 69, post #1029
SMD conversion part 2 - Piano Black Dash part 3 - XP aerial base, page 73, post #1085
End of modding for 2012, page 76, post #1130
Colour code Part 1, page 77, post #1152
2012 Rolling Road results Part 2, page 78, post #1166
Colour code Part 2 & other mods to come, page 80, post #1193
ICE part 1 (sub and amp), page 83, post #1232
Colour code part 3, page 84
Colour code part 3, page 87, posts #1291-1293
Eyebrows and maintenance, page 88, post #1319
TFS 2013, page 90, post #1340
VVT theme continued, page 93, post #1387
Incarnation 2013 and BHP 2013, page 93, post #1395

Welcome to my progress thread :wave:

Well my second actually, as I was about to post and my computer had a funny turn, so I am recreating the magic with this one :roll: :lol:

So, here we go!! (Again)

Late August 2009, when I had my desk job, I was bored and stumbled upon this car on Perry’s website

So before I know it I was doing some number crunching and the next day I had bought it :lol:

It is a 2007 Astra H SXi 1.6 vvt 5 door in Sapphire Black :D... Standard except for Sport button with ESP+... But also very early facelifts had the lower sport suspension so I got that too (Y)

My first purchase was Carbon-Fibre effect headlamp protectors... I think they look good and are very practical too :)

By this time Vx had replaced my worse for wear weather strips... More on those later ;)

My first problem was wheel balancing... I was getting very bad steering wheel judder at 70mph... This was fixed by Kwik-Fit after Vx massively failed at it :roll:

So onto my first mod... Cruise Control (Y)... Still one of my favourite mods too!!

Now remember those weather strips... It took me a while, but I got them colour coded (Y)

Next was glove box A/C

Then I learnt of the Trip Computer... As there were no active AON traders in the SE at the time, I had a road trip to the dealership jiraffe works at for it to be activated :)

During the winter, I had managed to ruin a door seal and it was making an awful wind noise :(... So this was replaced!

I also ordered Insignia Washer jets, and indirect door night lighting with the seal... The Insignia Jets I fitted later, but the night lighting idea dies when I found no wiring, but kept them in case I wish to faff with them in the future :lol:

Next mod to be purchased was VXR indicator surrounds

Along with those I bought some new door handles to paint star silver

Then I finally fitted the siggy jets (Y)

Wasn’t long before the wheels were off to splash the brake callipers with Hammerite Smooth Silver... I wanted to go subtle, hence sliver, but what an improvement :eek: (These need a touch up now!)

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I then learnt of Check Control, so on my way to a South Mimms AON meet, I stopped off to see Phatashki who Tech2’d it in for me (Y) (while I was there I had the pleasure of meeting stampede who was soldering away at Nimraynn’s car :lol: )
I didn't have all the sensors for full Check Control, so only bulb Cehck Control was Tech2'd...

But I still got this :shrug: :lol:

Next was another subtle mod... an Astra J aerial :)

Another min-mod followed, cup holder!

Then I found a bit of broken suspension spring on my drive...

Sadly my ridiculous insurance meant it was a far cheaper option to just have new like for like Vx suspension fitted :(

Modding held off for a short while, Vx springs are quite expensive :lol:

But next was a new rear light cluster... The original had split allowing dirt and water in which looked awful, so I fitted the with joy and ease :)

Now for ages and ages Nimraynn and Aiden had been badgering me about getting Heko’s... So I finally gave in, and when on wished I had bought them far sooner :rofl:... I also bought vinyl B pillar trims from Vx and put those on too :)

The SE region had a meet at AMD in Essex for a rolling road day... Was a really good day, with a good bunch of people (Y)... Best part for me was learning that my car was operating at 120bhp instead of the factory 115bhp... This was assumed by AMD to be the BP Ultimate Petrol I was using :)

I then had an issue with my passenger seat Airbag, meaning a replacement was needed... But for once Vx Customer Care actually helped, so only paid half the money (Y)

Then I went a bit bulb crazy :lol:

Silvatec Indicator bulbs!

LED reg plate, sidelights (Nimryann’s dainty hands got these in :rofl: ) and a whole bunch of interior bulbs too :thumbs:

My last mod for now, de-badging... This is in preparation for my XP roof spoiler (which looking at the time has been fitted, but I don’t get the car back until the morning) and my Penta’s which are going for a refurb then on the car next week :D

So, you have made it to the end... Well done! Go buy yourself a cookie :lol:

Thank you for reading, I hope you have enjoyed it!

Please look out for my new mods being added tomorrow and next week ;)

Comments welcome :)

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Nimryann’s dainty hands got these in :rofl:
You've just got fat fingers :lol: :couch:

And I quote...

Me: So, if I just grab that there......
You: What?! Just like that. I can't believe it, just like that!

:rofl:

Nice progress thread there mate, you finally got rid of the dinner plate (Y)

So come on, the spoiler has been fitted... so where's the pics? Not getting it back til morning is not a valid excuse on here :lol:

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really nice progress Thread, kept it nice and subtle! I like it and will certainly check back later in the week for your other mods:D
Thanks bud :)... I kept it subtle as the car looked standard, but now my insurance is super awesome, I may turn it up a notch :D

Nice write up and a good read Dawg (Y)

Top modding :D
Cheer dawg :thumbs:
You've just got fat fingers :lol: :couch:

And I quote...

Me: So, if I just grab that there......
You: What?! Just like that. I can't believe it, just like that!

Nice progress thread there mate, you finally got rid of the dinner plate (Y)

So come on, the spoiler has been fitted... so where's the pics? Not getting it back til morning is not a valid excuse on here :lol:
Can't help my fat fingers :$ :lol:... I couldn't believe the speed and ease of how you fitted them :rofl:... Really was amusing :lol:

Cheers bud (Y)... Yeah, I thought sod it, I'm doing the rest might as well get rid of the plate :lol:... Almost stayed, but I am glad it didn't now :)

It crossed my mind to break into the body shop for a sneak peak, but I don't fancy the Police coming after me :lol:... Don't ban me please peoples, XP spoiler pics tomorrow I promise!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I now want glovebox A/C :(
AFL's for GB A/C? :rofl:

Have you got the pipe in there bud? If you have the pipe the switch is a couple of quid and a 1 min job ;)

If not, pipe is something like £10, and a tad longer to do I believe :)

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, oh, oh... Forgot to mention... I got my break cooling ducts today too guys, so if it's not raining I will have a bash at fitting them tomorrow :D, and get pics too of course :p

Not sure. Will you take a pic of your pipe? :)lol:)

Can't really dawg :(... Don't wanna risk damaging the switch, I hear it can be fragile/pain to get off? But if you look through the hole in the glove box and can see a pipe with a rubber bung pointin at you, you have the pipe (Y)

Here is the tutorial though :)
http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68770

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Car is back home with the spoiler fitted :D

Thanks to boylin for the spoiler, Leemutz for the XL400 sealant, and Campbells Kingsdown for spraying and fitting at a good price :)

Shame it's starting to rain already, but here are a few pics :)

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have pentas too? Damn you Ian!! Damn you to hell!!
:lol: :D

Yeah, went on a road trip to Essex last Thursday to buy them from Lee1983 (Y)... They are booked in for a refurb on Tuesday, and should be back and on the car Thursday :D

·
Registered
15,498 Posts
I'm going to have a look at the glovebox A/C this afternoon. Looking at the how-to, I don't think I have the pipe :(

1 - 20 of 1658 Posts