Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best mod ever, for my 14 sri none turbo is KaN PANEL filter and shell v max fuel. WoW Vmax rules the car has come alive 3 weeks on Vmax i wont be going back too cheep green again what you all think, ...V MAX OR normal, ...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Certainly agree with the K&N panel, they give a much better airflow than the OEM. This in turn will give an increase in power and an improved MPG. As for the Shell V-Power, this is subject to debate.

From experience there was no difference between the V-Power and the ordinary Shell in terms of perceived power and actual MPG, ran 6 months on each. However there was a BIG difference between supermarkets with ASDA being the worst and Morrisons the best, but not as good as the standard Shell. Bear in mind though this was on a 2001 2.0 Mondeo Estate Auto (aka lumpy) that had done over 120000 miles.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I certainly noticed better performance when i fitted the KaN the car drives a lot better than with out it, .but as for MPG i would not say there was any improvement at all, Or not according too my trip computer anyway. My average mpg was 39.9, with out KaN, now its on average 38.5, not a lot of difference but its never gone back too 39mpg or above since it was fitted, may be my engine is loosening up. I have just gone too 12k on the clock, or the Vmax has somehow cleaned out my engine it certainly feels a lot better when on it for sure, or maybe its just shell fuel. or maybe its just me.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I always felt that the car (no matter which one I had in the past) drove better and was more economical when using Shell fuel. So much so that when I was a rep and did over 25000 miles a year I was only ever happy when the car ran on Shell. But in those days there was NO V-max, so it was the ordinary stuff that I used.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I reckon the best Mod ever was Stevie Marriott , tho' , some will argue that it is Paul Weller. .;)

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
That's weird, I have a 1.4 Turbo and changed the filter to a K&N panel and didn't notice any difference.

But then I have a DTUK box and a pedal box fitted, I wonder are they doing the same as before just with less effort now the air is flowing more freely?
Does your turbo have the same airbox?

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
From what I can gather from the two specs of the filter for the Turbo and non-Turbo 1.4 engines, the turbo filter is a little bigger (an extra cm H/W/D), which would make me think the filter box is a little bigger on the turbo?
with a different airbox assembly there is the chance that VAuxhall have done a good enough job of maximising the airflow so your K&N isnt having much effect. Most people agree that the standard air filter is best for the 1.9 cdti because Vauxhall have already got it right, so they do have a history of being good with airflow

·
A.O.N - Club Member (Andrew)
791 Posts
On My H 1.8 (140) VVT I RR'ed at 152 BHP with K&N and VXR intake.

Current J 2.0 CDTI RR'ed at 173.9 BHP and 291 LB/FT torque with K&N filter. :D

Both were on Vpower at the time and otherwise standard. Is it all the K&N ?
I doubt it, but it has done no harm in my case anyway :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts