Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

So I had the issue mentioned today. For what it's worth, I had a new alternator fitted relatively recently but developed an oil leak from a failed washer connecting a hose from the alternator. Had washer replaced, oil levels have been steady since. Symptom of this seems to be a flickering LED display/headlights - mostly at idle/when cold. Assuming from oil getting into alternator. Also regarding the alternator, I'm pretty sure the long tension bolt (I guess you'd call it) that runs through and 'connects' both halves is snapped/loose. I had it repaired once but snapped again. This has caused it to 'rock' at low revs/high depression of accelerator i.e hills, inclines etc. Times when a petrol would judder, but diesels wouldn't have an issue. Symptom is a low rumble that sounds like a loose air hose type sound. Whether these are relevant, I don't know. But worth laying out there.

So today when driving back from a short motorway drive I felt a slight 'slip' you could call it in (i think) 4th gear. Very slight, but enough to get my attention. About ten seconds later power started to drop, spanner light came on followed by oil lamp and battery light. Full loss of power, couldn't restart engine. Pushed it round the corner, lifted the bonnet up, light smell of burnt rubber type smell. Checked dipstick in case of total oil loss (after long term oil leak before from alternator), oil level fine. Restarted after about 5 mins, drove home normally (while obviously bricking it). Haven't driven it since.

I'm just wondering if anyone would have an inkling as to what the issue may be if they've experienced similar before, before i put it in the garage.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Sounds like the start of clutch slip, and alternator failing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. Out of curiosity, on Eurocarparts after entering my reg there are a choice of 3 alternators. When I had it replaced before, he ordered the most expensive version over the phone after telling his supplier my reg. Is it possible they've fitted the wrong version seeing as the only information they exchanged was what I've just entered myself, hence the issues I've had with it. And when it comes to selecting the correct model, is there a way for me to know by looking it up? The differences are things like Amp A, Voltage, Ribs, PulleyFreewheel etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just looked it up and I have the 100bhp model apparently. It's a Sportive if it's relevant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I checked the stored fault codes today via the pedal test. The new one is 033529.

P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance C-007
P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Open C-007

So entirely possible it's nothing to do with the alternator. We'll see. I hope not tbh. I get it sent in and read. Thanks for the help and I'll update regarding what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Massive bump, but for the sake of completion I got this fixed at the time with a new crankshaft sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts