Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A quick introduction, I'm 18 working at a technician in a Vauxhall dealership on the south coast.

I've been driving my Astra H 3 door z16XER Design sport for over a year now and frankly already got board of it!

So I've purchased this 1.9cdti (19dt) sportif for £800

Time for opinions, I hate these fiat designed engines, doesnt matter if it's the 8, 16v or even the later 2.0 I can't stand the things! I understand with a good map they go bloody well! Trust me I've experienced some fast ones, but I'd much rather have the petrol.

I've been looking for ages for a petrol Astra van and never found one a neat one without spending the earth on it. Hence why you're probably reading this now!

My plan is to strip out this van, buy a cat c Astra z/a18XER and do a total swap of everything. And I do mean everything!

So I thought I'd make this tread as I'm sure I'd be asking for advice! And to keep people who are interested (if any) informed on my progress,

All ive done so far is stripped seats, carpets and centre console and the rear, photos will follow!

Cheers Ryan.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,714 Posts
i see what your planning on doing, but there's much better petrol engines out there than the 1.8's, theres the odd 2.0 turbo SRi coming up for spares and repairs along with some corsa turbo SRI/VXR's both of which have far suprerior engines which will slot in, if you want a little challenge look at a saab conversion with the b204/205/324/235 turbo engines.

just seems pointless doing all that work just to put a 1.8 VVT engine into it.

side note: reason you've never found a mk5 petrol is they never offered one in the petrol like the did with the mk4's which were available with a 1.6 petrol which often came with an LPG conversion.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Easiest way is by find an estate, pull all the wiring looms and go from there, lot of work in it, i did look at doing the vxr engine in mine, unless u get the lot, the whole van needs rewired, best bet is the 2.0 turbo estate, if u can find 1

Wheres the origional post for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
I admire the tenacity but it's one hell of a lot of work to go to in order to make your van slower, less economical and harder & more expensive to insure

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I have, a week ago I've pretty much finished stripping the van, everything has been removed minus crash beam and heater box, had lots of problems of taking the crash beams at work and the windscreen cracking and distorting the front of the car. So that's staying in there till the last minute! Started to insulate the inside, using 5mm sound deadening sheeting and then covering that in silver backed bubble wrap, then using recycled plastic wool type insulation for all the crevices. Next is to insulate the bulk head, fit exhaust heat shields and new brake lines, chassis done 350 thousand miles so everything that can be replaced will be! :) found myself a z20leh with gearbox, engine loom and ecu, cim, rec, air bag. Just need to get body loom and crash beam loom, radio and satnav, I'll add photos in a minute :D

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
I just wish i had the time and space to do mine, doesnt take long to strip it, its the building up, i use mine for work so cant have it off the rd too long

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Saves all the issues with coding the car as all the different ecu's talk to each other, and gives you options to install other retrofits like keyless entry etc

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,714 Posts
Saves all the issues with coding the car as all the different ecu's talk to each other, and gives you options to install other retrofits like keyless entry etc
you'll still have all the issues with coding with or without the looms unless you swap out every single ECU, and iirc there's about 7 or 8 in total, what you say just adds extra complexity which lets face it isn;t needed, deal with the engine and the rest will get coded in place one way or another.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well if anyone is still interested in this who knows, but things are moving forward once more! Rear axle is in, fuel tank and new brake lines, fitted Hel braided brake lines, just making up some custom brackets for them to fit on the rear axle as the grommets are way to big for the stock brackets. Body loom is in with the dash fitted, all is left to do is rewire the number plate lights. As the five door lights are in the bumper but the van has them in the tailgate. Some resistors in place of the curtain air bags and side impact sensors. Some fuel lines and lastly those 3 REC earths.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts