Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A couple of quick turkey noise questions...

1. When this happens, is it louder than the normal little 'chuff' you get when the standard DV.
2. If this isn't caused by the 'popped off' pipe on the vacuum box, is the split diaphram the only other cause?

I mainly ask as I am not too sure whether I have a problem or not on my VXR.

When changing gear, sometimes it sounds like a cross between the turkey gobble and a standard dump. IE a standard chuff but stuttered (if that sounds right). The car also seems to be popping and banging from the exhaust loads more than previously and fuel economy seems to be worse (although I'm not 100% on the economy, I don't look too closely at that!)

I've checked the vacuum pipe for wear/popping off/etc. and it's all good.

Ta in advance,

Graham.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
yeah its pretty loud in comparison to the standard noise.

it may not sound too loud at some stages as you havent been on full boost

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gnasher, what was the outcome of this?

I too have a similar problem on my stage 3 zaf. Mpg has gone down to 18!

Can't see any pipes disconnected.

Cheers

·
Registered
343 Posts
THe Noise could be a disconnected pipe, i know i spent a few hours under my engine checking all pipes and cable tying them.

I believe also it can be a spilt diaphram.

also i dont know if your meant to make a dumping sound you can hear ??? i am very noise sensitive when driving and i am sure mine does not make a noise after i sorted my pipes ??

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
It's un mistakable!! If you can't hear it then you are grand ...drive on

·
Registered
35 Posts
mine has this turkey noise, like a progress groan (i can see te turkey now ive read this though)

Ive checked the pipes etc, my baileys DV is all sealed up what can i do to stop it?

thanks
Char

·
15,092 Posts
Think this is caused by a diaphragm in the waste gate actuator as the air rattles past it. There was a repair kit available from Vx for it I think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thers not acually anything wrong, as soon as you run more boost this will accur. mine chatters like mad and sound great but not 100% sure its the same noise you are on about?

·
Registered
1 Posts
am i doing something wrong

I can see the pipe is off on mine - i cant fit it back on - it keeps slipping.

should i persevere or take it to garage?

live in switzerland now so talking german explaining problem in garage may be an issue

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
firstly .. welcome to the site mate .. :)

if the pipe keeps slipping off then try wiping it down with a rag just to remove any crap thats stuck there....

failing that ... i judt used a little clip on the pipe thats causing me hassle :D

·
A.O.N. Chief Numpty - Lee
10,683 Posts
if you have a Induction kit you will get wastegate chatter, is that the noise your talking about? its normal on a turbo car that has an induction kit, drilled airbox, or a split pipe, its just an exagerated chatter from the "wind" :dontknow: lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
I removed my induction kit and re fitted the standard air box , how do you get the hose at the bottom of the box on ? It's so short I can't manage to do it so have left it off . Will this cause any problems ?

Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
Anyone got a vid of this turkey sound? My Astra Sri turbo has a turkey sound but it's coming from exhaust at the rear it can be heard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts