Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to buy an Astra H VXR in the next couple of weeks, it will be an upgrade to my 1.6 Astra H that I used to have. I have a tight budget and i'm also a university student so I need some advice from some current or ex VXR owners.

Online I have seen VXR's at a lower price than what I was expecting however the mileage is between the 80-95k range. Is this too high of a mileage and will I come across alot of engine problems that will hit my finance?

Also, if I currently have my eye on one, what kind of questions should I ask the current owner about the car and what should I look out for on the car when viewing?

Thankyou for reading (Y)

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Well my burg has just ticked over 111k. I'm currently about to replace the turbo but should have done this a year ago. The main problems are stem seals, the gearbox, and things generally breaking from abuse. Just make sure the one you're looking at has updated bearings in the gearbox. There is one or two more problems but can't remember them.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
As above, mileage is just a number. If the car has been looked after and well maintained then you should be alright.

Ultimately though, look out for any smoke, blue or thick white. Check the usual things as you would in any car. Also check for any gearstick movement or noise.

Keep an eye out for poor servicing or parts such as cheap tyres. IMO cheap tyres = possible scrimping on servicing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.