Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well, since noone hopped on this thread, I'll give my opinion from here in the Eastern US.

The reason I brought this up is my wife nagged me for a MINI for a long time, and I shot her down, stating a MINI was an ok car for a chick, but not too reliable and sort of a dead-end styling. This is one obvious place the Astra shines, it is very unique, especially in the US, where only about 10k were sold total. Her last car was an old Audi Coupe GT, so we have a high standard for style and durability. The similarities are numerous.

I think the ride and quality are far away better than a lot of other compacts, but I can't really guess how the reliability is, due to the small survey sample. I was hoping to glean more info from this site. As for the MINI, I don't think the relaibility is good at all. Is that the understanding in the UK? Puffs seem to like it, maybe that drags down the lot?

Premium compacts are quite different here, maybe the Audi A3 being the finest example. I know where that car stands compared to the MINI. I think the Astra stands-up on it's own. We are totally happy with it (3dr 1.8P) so far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. When I configure the exact same car on www.opel.de, it comes out to 23,000 Euros. Off a $20,000 US sticker price, we paid $15,000 on discount from Saturn minus the government "clunker rebate" on an old A6 we traded (which suffered from a deer strike). So $11,000 later we feel pretty damn lucky. Some people are still making payments on full price transactions from not long ago.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
As for the MINI, I don't think the relaibility is good at all.
A mini is not reliable!? Where the Hell did you imagine that up from!? :sus:

It's made by BMW...the Germans...the best car makers in the world...

A lad i play football (soccer to you yanks! :lol:) with has a Copper S works....lovely piece of kit....has had it for 4 maybe 5 years now...never had a problem with it! only ever had to replace the tyres on it and take it for it's MOT and service...THAT'S IT!!!

I have to say if i had the choice money wise and was going for reliability....i'd be picking the MINI everytime!!

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
In my family we have my 2005 Astra 1.6 petrol, the mother's 2004 Mini One 1.6 petrol, and my dad's 2005 Toyota Corolla Verso 2.0 diesel.

The Mini had to have a new gear box recently... although nobody could understand why. The dealer just said it needed a new one, replaced it under warranty and that was that.

Other than that, all three cars have been just as reliable as each other, no problems at all. Having driven the Mini a few times though, I personally think the Astra is much better to drive, but the Mini feels very solid at the same time. On personal preference, I'd rather drive the Astra.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
a mate of mine bought one about 6 months old it was a mini cooper 1.6 in the space of a year it had 3 clutches and two gearboxes,and it wasnt down to his driving as ive been in the car numerous times with him and cudnt find fault...maybe they were still ironong out the probs with them as it was when they first came out

·
A.O.N. Full Member - (Ben)
3,099 Posts
I've driven quite a few mini's mostly coopers, with an occasional Cooper S.
In my opinion, the Astra wins Hands Down. Better Styling, More room inside, more practical and you (being in the US) will have that exclusivity factor. Astra is a better drive too. Hope this helps fella :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
If the car was for my wife, I would choose the mini, so long as it was a cooper s, over an Astra every time. I agree, the mini is a girls car, but for an occasional drive, I'd love my missus to get one. Personally, if I lived on the other side of the pond, the Astra would be pretty low down on my wish list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts