Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Was hoping to get some advice-

This morning on the way to work my Astra just cut out on me. I was going pretty slow (stop and go traffic) on the motorway in second gear when the car suddenly died (felt like a stall although it definitely was not a stall). Tried to start her up again and the starter motor just kept turning over, no ignition (tried this a few times). Threw the emergencies on and called a tow truck to come pick it up - however 10 minutes later I tried once more and it started again, drove for 10-20 meters then it cut out again. Got plenty diesel in the vehicle too.

Any ideas guesses as to what the issue is? I had no warning lights prior to this happening. Without loading your answers, the garage did just call up and say their diagnostics show the "Crankshaft Position Sensor" as being at fault and to further diagnose/inspect they need to replace this.

Any advice or suggestions as to whether this sounds right or what else the problem could be? At first I was worried it was the cambelt, but after starting 10 minutes later and driving a few meters I ruled that out.

Model: Astra 1.7 cdti Elite (100bhp model) - late 2004.

Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
sounds like cranshaft sensor mate,thats what happened to mine,intermittent start,it would crank over but wouldnt start.
cost me £89 to supply and fit 1/2 hours work to fit,think the sensor was £50 +vat.
mine works a treat now (touch wood)
hope it all goes ok,let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks stu,

That confirms it - turns out that was the exact cause. My replacement cost £60 and 3/4 hour labout to fit. So the sensor is replaced now, everything is going OK.

I do need to consider replacing the cambelt now though - nothing to do with this incident, but I am now at 102k miles on the clock - apparently these should be changed every 100k? Going to cost a bit to get that done!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts