Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have recently bought a 54 plate mk 5 Astra H (5 door, 1.6L, SXi)
Engine code is Z16XEP

Prior to buying there was no noticeable abnormal engine noises (otherwise I’d have walked away)

However,
There is an audible rattle/tapping sound. I have a feeling it’s always been like this and I missed it, but it’s definitely louder or I’m hyper sensitive to it.
I think it’s the Inlet manifold, which seems to have been covered in some threads.

I’ll like a video of the noise (Note the phone makes it sound worse than in person)

Noise increases with RMP
No effect on power output
No EMU codes.
No smoke, no other abnormalities.

Is there a way to test if its the manifold. I don’t really have the tools/space/time to do this by myself.
So I’ll have to dig deep(ish) and get a garage to do it.

Safe to say after 100 miles, buyers remorse is starting to bite…

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
105k miles

Id only driven it for circa 200 before It got bad.

Inside the car you can hardly hear it over the heater/blower. outside is a different story

I have the old one, Im going to open her up over the weekend and see what its like
Possible pictures to follow

When holding it in my hands, and shaking violently there is something moving inside.

The suspense to see it is killing me, its like Xmas day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still have it floating around, have not gone to the effort of opening it yet. There are pictures online. Try agoogle image search.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that you're going to need to split it though! As I can feel hear something rattle when I shake it, but can't see a thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi thanks for the reply I have tried to search Google images but on these images you can't see anything that would cause the rattle, Hence my reasons for asking on here I was kind of hoping that someone had repaired the fault and took pictures whilst they where doing the repair. My search goes on :) the car is still in daily use by the mrs so going to attempt a repair in the next school holidays as she wont need the car to get to work then, my thinking is try to repair if this cant be done I will have the time to source a replacement and fit it before she needs the car for work again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts