Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone heard of problems with timing chain nylon guides breaking up on 1.6 cdti (whisper quiet engines) build date 2014 onwards?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
There is an issue on start up whereby you hear a bit of timing chain rattle intermittently, which is down to a tensioner issue. Vauxhall are saying it is a characteristic of the engine. I haven't heard of any failures myself

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know of two failures in our area, one where the nylon guide has broken up and dropped into the sump, no other damaged caused, but obviously very loud rattle from chain all of the time. The other instance where the broken parts jammed up on the lower chain that drives the oil pump (and brake vacuum pump on the back of it) with subsequent loss of oil pressure (and brakes!).
Hopefully these are only isolated cases. Unfortunately as the chains are located at the back of the engine, it is a gearbox out, or engine out repair.
I'd still be interested in anyone else who has heard of this problem, cheers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Redman, I'm now getting that occasional timing chain rattle for a second or two on start up.

"
There is an issue on start up whereby you hear a bit of timing chain rattle intermittently, which is down to a tensioner issue. Vauxhall are saying it is a characteristic of the engine. I haven't heard of any failures myself"

Can anyone expand on this please? Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought an 1.6 biturbo 2016 55000 miles and sounds like is heading that way he makes noise when starting and when acelerating, adding at low rotation or clutch point some vibration. When is hot no much diference.

Booked for a oil/filter change and at same time will speak with local Vauxhall head mechanic or someone, about if under warranty that can be seen and fix.
I am the 3rd owner of the vehicle
1st time bought a Vauxhall and already in the storm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts