Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am the owner of a 2011 Astra J 5 door. Purchased the car in Feb 2016 and when I bought it from a VX main dealer, there was a water patch when the car was washed or when it rained from the drivers side A pillar. Took it back for them to fix, and whatever they did had stopped the leak until about 4 months ago when a patch appeared again, which has gotten worse and worse until now, when a small bit of water is coming right in.

I’ve no idea where it’s coming from, I’ve removed the plastic strip where the roof rail is to see if I could spot anything and there’s the usual black clips, but I also noticed what looks like body putty cracking (checked the passenger side and it’s also the same, but no leak) which is pictured here:

Although the leak seems to be coming from further back than that. I’ve removed the roof liner slightly and the airbag is soaked, and it seems that the water is coming in from where the airbag fixes to the inside of the roof, but I have literally no idea how it could get there.

Another photo, of the water patch:

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I’ve trawled the internet for this before, and although the its been noted that this issue has “been reported before”, I’ve never seen one with photos or actual fixes.

Other than that, the car has been rock solid and I love it. Been the most reliable car I’ve ever owned.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi
Looking at your first picture with the exterior roof trim removed, could the leak be getting in through the black clips mounting screw. I assume there will be a threaded hole at the back of it. I personally would investigate there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that may be a possible cause, but can’t get the roof lining out far enough to check just yet. The clip is in extremely tight but will try to look when I get time to pull the roof lining back properly.

I did notice that the seam sealer is pretty cracked, not sure how these are put together at the factory but could it be a possibility?

It’s just bizarre how much water actually comes in, I took the A pillar trim off one night to stop that getting soaked and leading water behind the dash, ended up the next morning with my drivers seat completely soaked through.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Is that some sort of drain hole at the front nearest the windscreen? The trough to hide the brackets would appear to hold water up to the point where it rises, just before the windscreen. If so is it blocked?

Or should it be sealed not allowing water in it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn’t see any kind of drain hole, nope.

I removed the cracked seam seal and it’s just the roof join underneath. I have some more seam seal that I’m going to replace it with and touch up over, and box that off for the moment.

It’s just so confusing how much water gets in from what could only be the tiniest of gaps!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Let us know if it stops the water ingress.

Could you contact the garage that stopped the leak initially and see if they have any records of what they did, it may be something they are aware of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late update, I was waiting for some rain to hit again as it dried off the last few days, but today it started raining good again so got a chance to see if my fix worked (and didn’t want it to be a synthetic test of just pouring water over the area as I wanted to see what it would do in the real world).

So I removed the old seam seal that appeared cracked and split at the sides and exposed the metal underneath, which was flat, although to the left hand side (looking towards the front of the car) was a small lip where the roof section joined, near a spot weld, but didn’t look like water could get through. As pictured below, where the seam seal was I replaced it with tiger seal and let it set.

Well guess what... after today’s downpour, no more water on my A pillar or coming into the vehicle. Will see if it was just a fluke, but it rained a fair bit and not a single sign of water anywhere, where there usually would be after a short amount of time.

When the seam seal was removed, it rained a lot before I could get to using tiger seal in its place, and the A pillar for absolutely soaked, so there must be enough of a gap near the spot weld for water to come in significantly.

I checked the passenger side out of curiosity and it does seem like the seam seal is cracking in the same place, so in time the same may happen to the passenger side. If it does, I’ll photo and document the whole process and start a new thread to help people with this issue, as I mentioned in my first post it has been documented online, but no actual fixes shown.

Hope this at least helps someone, will do a follow up after more days of downpour when it happens and report the results, but this seems to have done the trick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Paralell,
I've got the same problem from the passenger side A pillar. What sealant did you use please? Have you had any more problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Paralell,
I've got the same problem from the passenger side A pillar. What sealant did you use please? Have you had any more problems?

Thanks
I used Tiger Seal, it’s bonded to the body well and reduced the leaks considerably, they do still however appear sometimes under seriously heavy downpour if the car is parked flat; if it’s parked on a slant with the front higher than the rear of the car, it doesn’t seem to happen, so I think the sealant is fending off a lot of the water.

I have a feeling though that it may be coming from the roof strip clip rivet, as when the roof lining is pulled back to check for water, it appears where the airbag is mounted, which is pretty much directly under said rivet.

Everything aside, the job I did with the sealant has reduced things considerably. I’d check the condition of your seam sealer first (under the plastic roof strip) and go from there. If it looks completely intact without any cracks or crumbling, it could very well be coming from the rivet that holds the black clip to the roof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply. If tiger seal isn't 100% I might try windscreen sealant first. If that doesn't work then I'll try tiger seal. Yeah it's coming from above the air bag so looks like the pictures you posted of the cracked seam same as mine. Thanks again for your help, hope something works before it rains agin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMG_20200503_132640.jpg

Hi, yes it's coming from here same as yours. From the inside it's running down from the air bag is screwed to the body work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this problem for the last 5 years with 2011 astra Sri. I had new windscreen then I had all the clips drilled then re sealed where the roof rack goes . This sorted the problem. Well for a year then every year I will use silicone (plenty) but not to much sorts the problem for a year till the weather gets hot . Reading this post has made me look more at the seems and will be checking tomorrow 😀

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had this problem for the last 5 years with 2011 astra Sri. I had new windscreen then I had all the clips drilled then re sealed where the roof rack goes . This sorted the problem. Well for a year then every year I will use silicone (plenty) but not to much sorts the problem for a year till the weather gets hot . Reading this post has made me look more at the seems and will be checking tomorrow 😀
Yeah I thought it was the windscreen as well. Might want to get some seem tape or something like that. The sealant goes all over the place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts