Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,
I have an Astra in the J flavour which now needs a little work, so and out came the spanners and tools.
Primarily to check out and resolve a recent limp home mode experienced after a message indicating particulate filter problems... keep driving!
This msg went away and then I got a yellow engine symbol with limp home home assumed, looked ude the bonnet and only thing I can see is a pretty mucky intake that leads up to right side (from the front) where I assume the EGR and all that jazz lives on this model. So I figure after a little read up on this and afew other sites - its time to clean out EGR.
Stripping out battery tray to get access (so many plugs and wires connected and harnessed together) whic was going fine until I stumbled removing one connector on the front edge of the tray to the right. A block connector with a couple of fragile thin wires attached, managed to remove the top half (plug) but the remainder is attached to the tray and still restricting free movement. Its too fragile to just go ahead I really would like to remove it carefully and correctly.
Looking down from above can see a springy tab ( I guessed) which despite being pushed back will not allow movement up/down. Looks like it should slide up but not sure?
Any advice would be very much appreciated, I am a pictures person so if you have something with good diagrams in this area I'll probably suss it out from that.
Great forum as I have learnt many new things that differ between this and my previous Astra H Sri, that I also did quite a few jobs on.

Cheers for now
Tony

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since overcame this... dirt was the culprit as it always is. Removed everything and cleaned up all that now became accesible covered in oil.
Checking oil level it was a little high for some reason, one of my 'round to its...' to replace oil and filter, looks like now is as good a time as any.
But.... did notice the linkage for hydraulic fluid for the clutch on gearbox seemed very flexible it selects/engages gears fine and drive ok.
Is that right, should there be quite a bit of movement on the 'T' piece as it connects into gearbox?
Ta very much...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The high oil level is likely down to failed or prematurely stopped re-gens,
to prevent an engine runaway you always need need to keep an eye on the level on dpf equiped Vx diesels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you valer.
I have done much reading on this and other interesting things going on. Exactly could I keep any eye on re-gens or DPF levels ?:unsure:
Perhaps an ODBII scan tool may show status of DPF, re-gens and levels? It might also assist in identifying the other pressing issue - yellow check engine (emmisions) light, permanent limp home mode restricting performance....but likely for a good reason.

It would be unfair to ask anyone to diagnose probables ;) but an educated or more experienced opinion would be valued?:)
I clearly have much to learn about the new Mk6.

Cheers all(y)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The most common method i've seen for identifying re-gens is to add a small warning light into the heated mirror or heated rear screen circuit,they are switched on to load the engine during an active re-gen so it's a simple solution.
This a thread on retro fitting to an Astra K,i think there's also one on the forum for a J as well,the theory is the same for both types.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts